Algae ID and how to remove

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 15g tank with a clown fish and flame hawk fish. It’s about 1.5 years old and mostly soft coral. Lights are on for about 8hrs per day and it’s not in direct sunlight. I’ve tried vibrant and microbacter and large water changes but nothing touches this stuff. I don’t over feed this tank and it’s running phosphate removers, carbon and a small skimmer. This clearly is not the normal green hair algae and it’s been a huge pain to get rid of. I’ve been doing manual removal but nothing works it grows right back. Any ideas of how I can clear this stuff out and how to prevent from growing back.

Been running reef tanks for some time but I’ve never had an algae issue like this and don’t know how to correct it.

IMG_1887.jpeg IMG_1886.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a Lychaete sp.? For example:
If not, I'd lean toward it being something else from that family (Cladophoraceae) like a Cladophora species. For example:
Thanks for the input any idea of how to get rid of this stuff

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a Tuxedo Urchin. I have had lots of luck keeping algae under control with them.

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely sure, unfortunately. An urchin is a good idea; I've also heard of a similar algae being eaten by emerald crabs, so those may potentially work as well.
Do you think an emerald crab would be okay with my small flame hawk fish?

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give it a try I’m going to swing by the lfs today and get the urchin, snails and an emerald crab. I’m going to continue to dose the vibrant

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feel like it’s a nutrient problem. This is the first time I’ve had this issue with a tank but it’s also the first time I haven’t had a refugium. Wish there was an easy way to add a fuge to a small aio

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back