Anyone use the red sea complete reef care (4 part) and recommend it?

dolpator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honestly, I am more likely to do Kalk/AFR combo.
I have already purchased 1000ml of AFR, so this is the route I am probably going to take. I would rather know that I am getting everything from a well known entity in the hobby. I honestly cant find any information on Sea Lab. My buddy uses it with great success, but that doesn't mean it will translate to success for my tank. I think getting the teace elements in to the tank alone will be a huge improvement to the tank. Will let know know over the next few weeks how the process is going might start a thread with the journey. As I want to start from literally scratch when I start this so I have a base libe

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the dimensions of the bottles in the Large package? I am trying to determine if the bottles will fit on a shelf that is in my cabinet.

dolpator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the dimensions of the bottles in the Large package? I am trying to determine if the bottles will fit on a shelf that is in my cabinet.
Calcium is like 2"w x 10"tall alk is 4" wide and 10" tall, and the other two are 2" wide by like 5' tall. It's how there are proportioned. Alk is twice Calcium, and the other two are half Calcium.

dolpator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is like 2"w x 10"tall alk is 4" wide and 10" tall, and the other two are 2" wide by like 5' tall. It's how there are proportioned. Alk is twice Calcium, and the other two are half Calcium.
That's how remembered it from RAP, when they were showing them off

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my prior comment, if people are against using Calc consumption for calculate dose of this red seas 4 part system, why does everyone here swear by AFR? Isn’t that the same with ultimately less control than 4 part since AFR is essentially 1 part and you need to manually dose other things based on consumption? I got a bottle of AFR and it says to dose based on calcium consumption as well so it seems similar to the new 4 part system by read sea

I also do not recommend AFR dosing by calcium, or kalkwasser by calcium. They all have the same problem, and all work by alk monitoring.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I am trying to figure out. I have a friend that uses Sea Lab #28 Automatic Replenisher Blocks. From what I am reading on this, it is a weekly block that replenishes 28 elements including calcium, strontium and 15 essential Trace elements, removes heavy metals and limits ammonia and phosphate while buffering PH. He has a 110 gallon total volume tank. Each weekly block is enough for 100 gallon system. Only thing he doses is alkalinity and Magnesium when needed. (See his tank Instagram @K4Fish). I talked with him in length yesterday. He keeps his alk @7-8 and Mag at 1400. Has used this product since tank build over 8 years ago, and his tank is amazing. So what is the difference between this product and Red Sea and AFR. Isn't it essentially the same thing. He said when he stopped chasing numbers and worked on stability over all else, all his worries went away and he can enjoy his tank. He test for Alkalinity, Nitrates and Phosphates weekly. That is it. The rest is handled through the Sea LAB #28 blocks....I am really confused on everything. Tropic Marin has been in this industry since the 1960's, are we to believe they do not have the best interest of the inhabitants of our tanks. That this AFR product is a bogus product. Wasn't Tropic Marin the company that pioneered the Balling Method that is being used successfully by thousands of aquarist world wide. Technology is changing not only in the world but in our hobby too, we place our faith in these companies to know that they have done the leg work, they are doing the science, they have our best interest at heart. If they didn't they would not be around, the hobby would not support them and they would go bankrupt... I am probably going to start using AFR, there are a lot of success stories on this product and how it has changed their tanks for the better. I am not saying I am going to use the product based on calcium. I am going to use the product based on all the parameters. I run a Neptune Trident on my tank. I am thinking I am going to stop chasing these so called parameters that makes everyone crazy set my Alk where I want it and let everything else play out. I will probably use a Kalk/AFR combo so that I am getting the trace elements I need for the tank, and whatever AFR isn't supplementing for Alkalinity and Calcium I will let Kalk handle that....I believe for the cost of everything these day, this to me seems the most cost efficient. Although those Sea Lab #28 blocks are $30/24. That is 24 weeks of supplementation for a 100 gallon system. That is what I have. This would equate to $5/month with Sea Lab, and everyone knows how cheap kalk. I mean you would get everything you need with two products costing less than $10 an month on 100g systems.. I mean really think about that......That is all I have to say.

I strongly advise against Sea Lab 28. I have posted this many times over many years, but it unquestionably cannot do what it claims. It is just a bunch of stuff that dissolves whether your tank needs it or not.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also do not recommend AFR dosing by calcium, or kalkwasser by calcium. They all have the same problem, and all work by alk monitoring.
So if we were to go down an AFR or this RSCRC system, how would you recommend doing it?

My assumption would to base alk of my tanks alk consumption, calcium of calcium consumption and the trace off calcium as well with maybe monthly ICP testing? And weekly Alk/calc/mag testing?

Jjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been waiting for the Red Sea 4 part to hit my area and glad I stumbled onto this thread!

Coming from somebody who just got back into the hobby last year, the appeal of a 4 part dosing system to meet all needs was very appealing to me.

To summarize what I’ve read so far, the 4 part system seems like a “bougie” way of doing things, but in fact is a lot more simplistic versus other methods. Why would you not want simplicity in such a complex hobby?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if we were to go down an AFR or this RSCRC system, how would you recommend doing it?

My assumption would to base alk of my tanks alk consumption, calcium of calcium consumption and the trace off calcium as well with maybe monthly ICP testing? And weekly Alk/calc/mag testing?

By alkalinity. match the calcium dosing to the alk dose, then occasionally (like once every 2 weeks), check to make sure calcium is still in a reasonable range (400-550 ppm, IMO). If it is close to or already too high or too low, make adjustments as needed.

I do not recommend testing magnesium at all. I recommend only dosing based on calcium (which I presume this method already does).

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back