Are Starfish and Hermit Crabs Destructive?

DaBrewzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby and looking for info I have not been able to find.

I am losing corals, and it appears my chocolate starfish is the culprit. I noticed it moves and sits on top of the corals, and a few of them have ended up dead/eaten. Is this something others have had an issue with? My parameters (calcium, salinity, nitrites, nitrates, etc.) all are within range. This is a 180 gallon tank with very little amount of critters, 6 or so frags, 2 clownfish, one hawk fish, a lawnmower blenny, one green chromis, one starfish, one large hermit crab and a few smaller ones, along with some snails.

I have also lost 5 green chromis and 3 firefish recently, presumably by the large hermit crab. So I am thinking he has to go too.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share!

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, chocolate chips stars eat coral. They are not reef safe.

Chromis and firefish aren't all that hardy, so they may just be dying and getting scavenged. But large hermits aren't always too picky about what they eat.

OP
OP
D

DaBrewzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, chocolate chips stars eat coral. They are not reef safe.

Chromis and firefish aren't all that hardy, so they may just be dying and getting scavenged. But large hermits aren't always too picky about what they eat.
Thanks Malum, I will have to give him back to the store before I lose anymore. Appreciate your reply.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too keen on big hermits ,
the prev post is spot on
… I’d check for uronema on any remaining chromis, that disease seems to be popular with them

besides serpent stars, blue or red Linkia are tricky but about the only readily available reef safe stars

OP
OP
D

DaBrewzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too keen on big hermits ,
the prev post is spot on
… I’d check for uronema on any remaining chromis, that disease seems to be popular with them

besides serpent stars, blue or red Linkia are tricky but about the only readily available reef safe stars
Thanks Doc, I’m going to take the big hermit back as well just to be cautious. Appreciate your reply

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back