Auto Water Change Kamoer X2SR + Reefactory Level Keeper: Brainstorming how to disengage Level Keeper/ATO while Kamoer X2SR operating

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to set up auto water changes for a while now, but before I buy the X2SR I can't figure out how I'm going to set it up.
If worst comes to worst I'll just make it drain and fill simultaniously.
I would preferably take the most efficient option and drain directly from the sump, then refill it. But the problem is if the sumps water level drains, the automatic water top off turns on for evaporation so if i did a drain to waste, and refill, my level keeper would fill the sump until the new water is entirely filled into the sump up to the float detectors.
I had the thought that I could program the X2SR to do the waterchange at say midnight and then plug a digital seconds timer into the level keeper to turn off the pump off at midnight every night weekly for a specified amount of time. They're about $50 the HydroAxis digital seconds timers but I mean it's all I can think of.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to set up auto water changes for a while now, but before I buy the X2SR I can't figure out how I'm going to set it up.
If worst comes to worst I'll just make it drain and fill simultaniously.
I would preferably take the most efficient option and drain directly from the sump, then refill it. But the problem is if the sumps water level drains, the automatic water top off turns on for evaporation so if i did a drain to waste, and refill, my level keeper would fill the sump until the new water is entirely filled into the sump up to the float detectors.
I had the thought that I could program the X2SR to do the waterchange at say midnight and then plug a digital seconds timer into the level keeper to turn off the pump off at midnight every night weekly for a specified amount of time. They're about $50 the HydroAxis digital seconds timers but I mean it's all I can think of.
I have mine do both simultaneously. It's the default option I think.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I figure that's the likely road I'll have to take. It's a little simpler and I won't have to program anything or buy something to auto switch off the level keeper. But in doing that I/you might be losing some of the clean water you're putting in as it circulates into the water column. Making it less efficient than to drain it, and then fill it.
And honestly call me cheap but I really try to save as much money as I can in this hobby because it's really a never ending money sink for me right now. I'd love to get maybe a trident apex combo, GHL KH controller, Roller Mat, the X2SR, I want a Milk Fridge to attach all this equipment to, and then automate liquid feedings from the milk fridge to my tank using a Reef Factory 4x doser. I'm not rich, I'm definately poor and this equipment is bought slowly and usually in 4 payments. But automation is my goal because in my heart it feels most important.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take water from the sump in the first chamber and put it in the return section. I do 1 liter at a time, takes maybe a minute. I don't think that I'm remotely close to removing the new water.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 120 76.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 11.5%
Back