Baking sodium carbonate/ bicarbonate ?

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , i saw several SPS tanks that running with DIY Alk, Cal and Mag. (with Randy's recepy)

I want to try this DIY method , but don't understand why should I bake sodium carbonate/ bicarbonate?

How much time should I bake it ? at what temperature ?

someone can post link to Randy's DIY recepy?

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , i saw several SPS tanks that running with DIY Alk, Cal and Mag. (with Randy's recepy)

I want to try this DIY method , but don't understand why should I bake sodium carbonate/ bicarbonate?

How much time should I bake it ? at what temperature ?

someone can post link to Randy's DIY recepy?
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) transforms to sodium carbonate when baked. Sodium carbonate has a higher alk buffering ability.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baking of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) drives off CO2 (and water) and converts it into sodium carbonate. It then has a pH boost when used, which baking soda does not.

Baking sodium carbonate in a kitchen oven will not do anything useful.

I currently recommend about 400 deg F for an hour, since it can take time for a large amount to heat up.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done the same with just putting a bunch of baking soda into a pot and "cooking" it on the stove, stirring occasionally. I think its generally faster and easier and more efficient than baking it in the oven.

I usually gauge the "doneness" by covering up the pot with a lid while cooking the baking soda. If there are no more condensation forming on the lid its pretty much done.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done the same with just putting a bunch of baking soda into a pot and "cooking" it on the stove, stirring occasionally. I think its generally faster and easier and more efficient than baking it in the oven.

I usually gauge the "doneness" by covering up the pot with a lid while cooking the baking soda. If there are no more condensation forming on the lid its pretty much done.

I don't doubt that can work, but from a safety perspective I don't generally recommend stove top heating of dry chemicals.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does sodium carbonate need to be stored in an airtight container after baking?

Alexandru B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did bake 10 pounds of baking soda into my oven on 2 trays at 350 degrees for 1 hour and I mixed the backing soda at the 30 minute mark then I added it back in the over.
The issue that I have now is that the result is not mixing with the water.
Also I added 2 cups and 1/4 for 1 gallon of RO water. Did I do something wrong? I was keep string it with the spoon and the baked baking soda is not mixing. I see it sitting on the button of the container.
Did I do something bad in the process?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did bake 10 pounds of baking soda into my oven on 2 trays at 350 degrees for 1 hour and I mixed the backing soda at the 30 minute mark then I added it back in the over.
Also I added 2 cups and 1/4 for 1 gallon of RO water. Did I do something wrong? I was keep string it with the spoon and the baked baking soda is not mixing. I see it sitting on the button of the container.

That seems like two much sodium carbonate but i use weight 375g.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I made mine I put about 3/4 to 2/3 of the one gallon in a pot and heat the water up a little (not boiling but hot) and slowly mixed the sodium carbonate in while stirring then once that was about dissolved then I added a little bit more each time stirring. It will dissolve but it takes some time. If you add to much it will make a hard brick and take longer to mix up. And don’t just dump a huge spoonful in one spot sprinkle it around the water and it makes it easier to dissolve at least in my experience. Took about 30 min or so to make at total of one gallon of solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds like you measured the volume after baking, not before:

Recipe #1, Part 2: The Alkalinity Part

Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.

Once these two solutions are created, they can be added as frequently as necessary to maintain calcium and alkalinity. For further dosing instructions, see below.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back