Battling the Heat

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This heat is terrible and it’s only June. We got a couple of good sized prop setups in our detached garage.
The tank temps are getting to 85F before the lights shutoff. I’m trying everything I can before investing in
a couple of chillers.

We added fans that blow directly on the water and that helped some. Added a small window air conditioner
but I messed up there. Bought a 6500 BTU unit but then realized it can’t keep up. With about 2500 Watts of lights,
I calculated that we need at least an 8000 BTU unit just to overcome the heat from the lights. We have started
delaying the lights by one hour each day until we get to a reverse light cycle. This seems to be helping a little also.

Is anyone else battling this horrible heat? Should I try a larger air conditioner or bite the bullet and get a couple of chillers?
Man I hate spending $1600+ on chillers. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on two 1/3 HP chillers?

Jack

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol youre actually in luck! im selling my 1/3hp chiller when i get home
its in va so lets hope shipping wont be sooo bad
its a current prime tower chiller but i got it last year and only used for ~6 months before I decided to downgrade
its the older style though, got it right before the newer ones came out
let me know if youre interested

Back