Big E Rimless 80g Sps

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i ask what is your t5 bulbs configuration?
to achieve a red color like your red planet, what would you recommend on an 8 bulbs fixture?

thanks

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone...........on the T5 bulbs..........I only run the Coral+ and Blue+ as in my experiences they are the best combination for color and growth for acroporas. Both bulbs combined cover all the spectrum needs of all the pigment and chromo proteins, so, regardless of which the acro carries, it will be satisfied.

I run them for 8 hours on/off...........there is no dusk/dawn period.

These two bulbs have actinic (400-420) in them, you don't need to add extra. Any other bulbs you use are just going to give you a different ambient look more so than creating more color in the coral itself. This combo gives a crisp 14-15k look with a slight tinge of blue. Some people prefer more blue, so if you have a 6-8 bulb setup you can mix in a different bulb, but again it's to satisfy the ambient look to your eyes.

You'll get more reflection in the orange, green, and yellow by adding more blue but it can also render the overall look to be dark and mute other colors to our eyes. My goal is deep vivid colors and a bright tank

By only using two bulbs I create a consistent spectrum & par across the whole width and length of the tank........this simplifies things as I only have to decide on the height of where I place the acro to fit it's intensity needs. You need to have the correct spectrum as well as the right intensity for each coral to get the best color & growth out of them.

The best looking acro species don't need a bunch of overbearing actinic or blue to make them shine. For lack of a better way of saying it, I want the colors in the coral.

Pearloutofwater_zps01118098.jpg

jaguars4263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow only 4 bulbs on a 100g tank? Did I just make a bad decision on a 8 bulb fixture for the same size tank? Your corals look amazing!!!!

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing as always!

Thanks!

Wow only 4 bulbs on a 100g tank? Did I just make a bad decision on a 8 bulb fixture for the same size tank? Your corals look amazing!!!!

Thanks, my tank is 48x24x16...... it's shallow and allows me to raise the fixture a bit more, plus I overdrive the bulbs for more par. The LET reflectors are also a 1/4" wider than commercial fixtures.

I usually recommend 6-8 bulb Sunpowers for 48x24" tanks, so you're fine. Most people don't want to run a DIY fixture like mine over their tanks or prefer the longer 3-4 month life of the bulbs.

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing colors. I really like the rubble on the left side of the tank. Have you seen any benefits or negatives due to it?

Rockmp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Thanks, my tank is 48x24x16...... it's shallow and allows me to raise the fixture a bit more, plus I overdrive the bulbs for more par. The LET reflectors are also a 1/4" wider than commercial fixtures.

I usually recommend 6-8 bulb Sunpowers for 48x24" tanks, so you're fine. Most people don't want to run a DIY fixture like mine over their tanks or prefer the longer 3-4 month life of the bulbs.
With that said would you recommend switching out an older sunpowers reflectors to LET's?

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, u defintaly know how to grow sons nice coral. Nice tank!

Thank you

Amazing colors. I really like the rubble on the left side of the tank. Have you seen any benefits or negatives due to it?

My initial test on this was a failure. It collected too much detritus and caused cyano. I may have used too little as it made it hard to vacuum. I took it out, but might try a mix with some finer sand. I like the look of sand but it always ends up as a problem for me. Most of my set ups were always bb. My friend was running a thicker bed and he had a nice mix of white and coralline encrusted rubble.

With that said would you recommend switching out an older sunpowers reflectors to LET's?

No, you're good

Wow Ed. The tank is looking great!!!

OMG! Hi Bob how are you! Thanks, where ya been?

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

My initial test on this was a failure. It collected too much detritus and caused cyano. I may have used too little as it made it hard to vacuum. I took it out, but might try a mix with some finer sand. I like the look of sand but it always ends up as a problem for me. Most of my set ups were always bb. My friend was running a thicker bed and he had a nice mix of white and coralline encrusted rubble.

My successful tanks have all been BB as well. I went with a SB on the last tank and had troubles as well. Not to blame the sand 100% as I didn't have proper CUC but I think running BB is better for me. My new tank will definitely be BB unless I can find an alternative.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

No, you're good

OMG! Hi Bob how are you! Thanks, where ya been?

Got a new job. And been crazy busy. Still never got the tank recovered from the crash totally and things went downhill. Gonna start to totally reboot my tank and get back in the swing of things

Gondore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking corals. Are you still using Randys two part and what doser are you using. Also do you adjust the parameters of IO when doing water changes?

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How to you like the 16 inh height of your tank?

It's okay, although I'd prefer to be at 20-22". 16" is actually only 14" at the water line due to where the overflow takes in water and also to avoid most splash overs due to no rim.

incredible colors and amazing tank.

Thank you.

Great looking corals. Are you still using Randys two part and what doser are you using. Also do you adjust the parameters of IO when doing water changes?

Thanks, I still use Randy's two part.....been using if for around 8 years...........I'll never go back to a reactor.
I use a Magus doser.

I don't adjust IO.....it's calcium and alk levels are fine for the small amount of water I change.

A.G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just AMAZING .

Have you had the chance to read the PAR in your tank ?

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • All of the above

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back