Black Material coming off of COR15 internal rotor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Rskiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with my tank ever since it was set up. When I say struggling, I mean it has been a struggle to find an answer as to why my tank would not sustain most livestock I added to it. The tank started October 1, 2022 and my success rate has been less than 25% for corals and fish. My water parameters have been within range according to ICP water tests and the temp, ALK and salinity have been consistent as measured by my Apex. I have tried different lighting intensities measured by a PAR meter and still have had very little luck.

Now this is where things take a turn. Last week Saturday, 7/22, I had the idea that maybe one of my pumps was leaching a bad magnet or some other bad thing. So, I removed my COR20 return pump and COR15 pump. I was not using the COR15 as I had shut down the reactor it was pumping for almost 8 weeks ago, but it was still in the sump. As I took them out, nothing seemed weird. Honestly I was disappointed as this was my last idea as to what was wrong. I put the pumps in a small bucket and installed a brand new COR20 return that I had as a back up pump. Over the last week I have noticed marked improvement in the livestock that remained in the tank. Thinking there was still a connection to the two pumps, I disassembled the COR20, Nothing strange, just the usual light build up for crud. I cleaned it up. Dried it and re-assembled. I was really at a loss now thinking I would find the same in the COR15 - no issues.

I disassembled the COR15 pump and everything looked fine. I took it to the sink to clean the rotor and base. That's when I found a lot of black material rubbing off very easily from the rotor! Inspecting the 2 different rotors from the 20 and the 15, the 20 seems to have a more shiny finish to it. The 15 is dull. I am thinking this is the source of my problem.

Anyone know what material the rotor is made from and would that leaching off the rotor cause my issues? There certainly seems to be a cause and effect to my tanks health over the last 10 days or so. I have an open support case with Neptune about the rotor but I am hoping that someone can confirm that leaching that rotor material would be a pretty bad thing to have going on. For sure, it doesn't sound like it would be good to me but I don't know.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back