Brand new to reefing!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Any recommendations now? I am going to clean the tank and then do a 50% water change. Got my first fish still in the quarantine tank that I set up last week. Went with a clown since they are hardy. No need for a clean up crew at the moment right? Only when I start to see a problem?
I would do as big of a water change as you can. You will eventually need clean up crew. They won't have much to do at first so you can wait a week or so. You would essentially be having to feed them bc they have no work to do right away but you will need them pretty quickly just not day 1. You can however get a nassarius snail if you wanted to eat leftover fish food. Then get more of them as your tank gets more established.

Glowurm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House is right around the mid 70's. Really odd though, I used this heater when I was mixing the salt water originally and had it set to 78 and that is exactly what it heated the water to when I was mixing it in the garage. Bring the tank upstairs and set it up and the water reads 80. I lowered the temp on the heater to 73 just to see if it would do anything and it didn't even move the temp 1 degree less haha. Interestingly enough though....I removed the heater all together and for the past 5 hours the temp has been a beautiful 78 degrees! So we shall see if that temperature remains stable throughout the summer. I looked up chillers and wow do they get expensive!
Get yourself an inkbird, since i bought mine i've not had a single concern re the temperature of the tank, relatively cheap at £30 and will help you avoid costly mistakes (or crashes etc) as it has both an audiable alarm and is wifi enabled so will send you alerts.

Like you i am currently cycling my first tank and have a couple of clowns in a QT tank waiting for cycle completion. My cycle isn't going as well as yours unfortunately, seems Red Sea ammonia test isn't especially good and had been giving my false readings.

Last edited:

DustinDec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with others about having a controller of some sort to help with the heater. I have a couple fluval heaters, and they're difficult to dial in well. I got an inkbird, calibrated with ice water, and it added an extra layer of redundancy. Even if the inkbird goes a bit high, the fluval will turn off at a certain point anyways. That said, I've just upgraded to an Apex controller so I could use the trident (I enjoy automating) and that works even better. But for now, just start with an inkbird, grab the one with wifi support.

OP
OP
ReefNoobs

ReefNoobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOOO! First big water change has been done! Did a 10 gallon water change and now just waiting for the remainder of all built up bits that I scratched off to be sucked into the filter sock. Excited to introduce my first fish to the tank this weekend. Thinking of adding a Storm Clownfish. Fell in love with their colors!

Can't thank you all enough again for all the help you've been providing me with! I will be sure to post some pictures of the new addition to the tank this weekend as well.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back