Can somebody tell me what these are?

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m pretty sure the first picture is Amasia, but it’s growing out of the coral. I have no idea what the next two are but they’re down my sump.

image.png image.png image.png

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic looks like aiptasia that took up residence in a dead head. Def super glue over that one.

2nd pic I don't remember the name but pretty sure it's a harmless filter feeder of some sort. Annoyed I don't remember bc @ISpeakForTheSeas just ID'd one not too long ago.

3rd @WalkerLoves_TheOcean is right.

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First pic looks like aiptasia that took up residence in a dead head. Def super glue over that one.

2nd pic I don't remember the name but pretty sure it's a harmless filter feeder of some sort. Annoyed I don't remember bc @ISpeakForTheSeas just ID'd one not too long ago.

3rd @WalkerLoves_TheOcean is right.
I can’t seem to find that second one under his posts. Do you remember if it’s good or bad?

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya im going to nuke that whole rock.
If you have just a few aphasia, before going nuclear, you can try to spot treatments if you like.
If you get some boiling water and apply directly to the aptasia it can be effective and safe in some circumstances. Yours in the pic is pretty close to your coral however so may not be ideal in this setting.
But to apply in a spot method, you can put the hot water in a syringe and with some tubing, apply directly to the aptasia a couple of cc’s.
Probably not practical for an outbreak but for a few it can work well. And if not, can always go to DEFCON 1.

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya im going to nuke that whole rock.
If you have just a few aphasia, before going nuclear, you can try to spot treatments if you like.
If you get some boiling water and apply directly to the aptasia it can be effective and safe in some circumstances. Yours in the pic is pretty close to your coral however so may not be ideal in this setting.
But to apply in a spot method, you can put the hot water in a syringe and with some tubing, apply directly to the aptasia a couple of cc’s.
Probably not practical for an outbreak but for a few it can work well. And if not, can always go to DEFCON 1.
Luckily for me that rock structure is modular and I can remove that one rock and fix it. I might try that boiling method after removing that rock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m pretty sure the first picture is Amasia, but it’s growing out of the coral. I have no idea what the next two are but they’re down my sump.

image.png image.png image.png
Top is hammer or frogspawn, mid looks like sponge (clatharina) and bottom pineapple sponge which is short lived and feeds off algae

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hot water seems to have worked. The Duncans are alive and well and no sign of the Aptatia.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back