Chaeto & skimmer...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys... a quick question... I plan on installing my Tunze nano skimmer this weekend.. it will be running in my sump... I have tons of chaeto in there atm and I was wondering if I should be worried about taking half off the chaeto supply coz it's taking up all the space on the sump... the biggest middle area of the sump will house 3/4 chaeto and 1/4 for the skimmer... I really like this skimmer as it has a magnet built in so I can attach it securely... :)

I dunno if this really made sense but any help will be appreciated..

Thanks again...

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin,

I have a Tunze 9002 in my tank and the key to this skimmer is the water level. The only issue I can see with having cheato in the same area is.

Cheato blocking the intake
Cheato reducing the skimmer intake by slowing water flow

If you can work around those then you should be ok. Are you running the 9002?

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin,

I have a Tunze 9002 in my tank and the key to this skimmer is the water level. The only issue I can see with having cheato in the same area is.

Cheato blocking the intake
Cheato reducing the skimmer intake by slowing water flow

If you can work around those then you should be ok. Are you running the 9002?

yeah... I have the Tunze 9002... looks like a very nice compact skimmer.... how do you like yours and how long have you been running it?

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best to weed back that cheato every month or so to a size of a softball or so leaving the best looking bunch. To much cheato in the sump will lower the flow rate besides keeping it supercharged for control of nitrate and phosphate.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best to weed back that cheato every month or so to a size of a softball or so leaving the best looking bunch. To much cheato in the sump will lower the flow rate besides keeping it supercharged for control of nitrate and phosphate.

sounds like a plan... it'll keep the sump clean also.. :)

I've never trimmed my chaeto before... by removing most of the chaeto, will this affect my water quality?

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your worried just weed back slowly over 1 week and then just keep it up on a regular basis. Every few months or so. Also before you throw it out shake it in the main water to release pods , and it could be used for trading or credit from LFS. Cheato has many usefull uses.GL..

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your worried just weed back slowly over 1 week and then just keep it up on a regular basis. Every few months or so. Also before you throw it out shake it in the main water to release pods , and it could be used for trading or credit from LFS. Cheato has many usefull uses.GL..

sounds like a plan.. thanks again... :)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump... anyone else have any inputs?

I've seen some tanks with no macro algae at all and just have a skimmer and I've never ran a skimmer in my tank... I've seen good results on both... I'm a little confused... :confused:

Back