Chalk basslet question

Porcupine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting this fish and I know that they grow to three inches, same size as royal gramma, only thing is when the chalk gets to max size will he get aggressive and eat smaller shrimp and fish? I have a yellow clown goby in my 125, would they be fine with basslets? Would royal grammas be a safer bet?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalk basslets are harmless sweethearts, and they stay out in the open and come to glass when you approach the tank, not like RG that likes to hide all day. But of course its not as colourful as the RG. My chalk didn't bother my sexy shrimps.

The main problem with the chalk is that he will jump, I had one for a year and he must have jumped about 10 times and then one day he jumped when I wasn't around..... I'll never have one again because I don't keep lids on my tanks, but if you have a lid, its a great fish.

OP
OP
Porcupine Reefer

Porcupine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalk basslets are harmless sweethearts, and they stay out in the open and come to glass when you approach the tank, not like RG that likes to hide all day. But of course its not as colourful as the RG. My chalk didn't bother my sexy shrimps.

The main problem with the chalk is that he will jump, I had one for a year and he must have jumped about 10 times and then one day he jumped when I wasn't around..... I'll never have one again because I don't keep lids on my tanks, but if you have a lid, its a great fish.
Do they like to school?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 or 4 for a while. You need add them same time and size. They never bothered anything in my tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting this fish and I know that they grow to three inches, same size as royal gramma, only thing is when the chalk gets to max size will he get aggressive and eat smaller shrimp and fish? I have a yellow clown goby in my 125, would they be fine with basslets? Would royal grammas be a safer bet?
Basselts don't get along with other basslets. That was my experience. I mixed a Chalk bass and a royal gramma in a 90gal. It didn't go well. The royal gramma just picked on it and killed it before I could remove the bass or Gramma

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had chalkies many times. None of them got to 3”; maybe 2 1/2. No fish will school in a tank. Mine rarely even kept together. Highly recommended otherwise.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in a 90. They don’t school but do occupy essentially the same space, bottom center. Little porkers. They don’t bother anyone, no one bothers them. Their lifespan is short from what u understand. Mine are probably 2 years old.

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine jumped on top of my screen net and died... it was still very fresh. Maybe an extra twenty minutes would have saved it. Keep your tops secured!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back