Chemical Purity

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I tell the purity or quality of chemicals? I always hear people say look for a USP sticker or what grade is it (food, technical, pharma, etc.). But what happens if there are none of those markings but the product says, for example, 100% magnesium chloride hexahydrate. Doesn’t 100% mean that’s all it is, that one ingredient; shouldn’t this product be good to go?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Various grades such as food grade will be on the label and carry with them a variety of tests the product must pass.

The percentages on the label can mean almost nothing, especially if it says 100%, since that may mean it is the only ingredient added to the bottle. A label that says 99.9% is much more useful and desirable than one that says 100%.

Also, the percentages are often reduced by the moisture in it. Thus, 77% calcium chloride may possibly be free of any other chemical other than water and calcium chloride.

I’m happy to help interpret labels if you want.

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Various grades such as food grade will be on the label and carry with them a variety of tests the product must pass.

The percentages on the label can mean almost nothing, especially if it says 100%, since that may mean it is the only ingredient added to the bottle. A label that says 99.9% is much more useful and desirable than one that says 100%.

Also, the percentages are often reduced by the moisture in it. Thus, 77% calcium chloride may possibly be free of any other chemical other than water and calcium chloride.

I’m happy to help interpret labels if you want.
So I got this from the website:
1714680906557.png

And this is the first page of the safety data sheet:
1714680977952.png

@Randy Holmes-Farley you did say something about this on a different post, but I only posted a link to the product. Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let us know how it works out!
Sorry for all the requests, but I'm not sure how to read these sheets. Do these tell you anything about the product as far as reef use goes? This brand is called MAG, but I'm not sure if it's the one you site in your articles. The flakes and pellets look to be the same stuff by the specification sheets, but pellets are a lot easier to get.

1716500454755.png

1716500390141.png

1716500351808.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thanks for the response!

Does this mean I'm getting trace elements as well lol.

1716524347926.png

Any chemical or food has trace elements in it. It’s just a question of how much if each.

You are also getting some potassium and bromide (neither are trace elements).

But note that all of these numbers (except iron) are maximum levels. The actual levels may be that high, or less, or maybe far less.

Back