cloudy tank

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i woke up this morning and my whole system is cloudy. now apparnt deaths all live stock acounted for every thing is in check (equi[ment & parametrs) so whats going on what would yall check

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about your alk and cal?

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DKH=179ppm cal=380ppm. i recently added a refugium to my system thanks to bordom sum jim beam power head and hoses good times lol i added a couple panes of glass. and untill today the water has been amazing ive never seen it clearer. just sum info my overflow drains to my 29 gal sump were it hits sum pura bads the skimmer is in the first chamber a spong in between baffles then my return pump mag7 also a powerhead 802 pumping water into my 35 gal low flowDIY refguim were it holds about 15 to 20 gal of water with a frag rack 7 pounds live rock some fan caluarpa and and very intresing macro red tube like algea and a maxi jet 1200 for a return back to the first chamber in the sump.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys i havent touched anything in the tank im waiting for a verdict or concensus i currently have no other test kits my salinity is 1.024 and the main tank is 78 degres

jaydm93teg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont have any fish that could've really stirred up your sand bed or anything?
and you didnt have a rock collapse that would've knocked any sand around?

just trying to think of simple stuff that could be overlooked by all the testing........i knwo i have a very very very fine almost playground sand like substrate and any movement of any of my rock can cause cloudy water

jaydm93teg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White Cloudy Water

White cloudiness is a result of a bacteria bloom.
Sometimes the cleaning of all filters at once, or the changing of the gravel can trigger a bacteria bloom, due to the removal of bacterial colonies that had settled on the filter media or substrate. Another cause can be
thumb265.jpg
medical treatment of the tank using antibiotics, which may destroy these colonies.
The bacteria are either re-establishing themselves, or are feasting on high nutrients.
In nutrient rich water they can multiply at such a high rate that the water becomes cloudy white.
A bacteria bloom is cause for concern:
Bacteria need oxygen. A few grams of bacteria consume about the same amount as an adult human, again posing a threat of de-oxygenation in the aquarium. Immediate action is required if the problem is severe, or persists.
Once again the focus should be on nutrient control. Eliminating excess nutrients will starve the unneeded bacteria colonies resulting in a clearing of the water. A UV-Filter may be somewhat effective, as it kills bacteria. Nevertheless, the problem of high nutrients will not be fixed this way. Therefore the nutrients have to be lowered through water changes and the use of products such as Algone.
It is also advisable to check on ammonia during the period of a bacteria bloom, as ammonia may rise to dangerous levels.
In a salt-water aquarium, the protein skimmer usually helps to prevent and cure a bacteria bloom, as the bacteria are removed as "particles". Make sure the skimmer works properly when a bacteria bloom arises.
A severe bloom can create an oily film and enough foam-depressing agents to make a skimmer go flat (no foam no function). This has to be taken very seriously. Despite oxygen depletion ammonia gets more toxic at higher pH levels, which is characteristic for salt-water environments.
It is therefore vital to make the skimmer work again. An oxidation agent such as potassium permanganate can be used. Diluted and used sparingly (1% and only added in the low ml region) will oxidize enough fat that can be picked up by the skimmer, thus jump starting the system.

i just found this maybe since you added your sump and all that good stuff it couldve started a bacteria bloom??

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirty Substrate or Decorations

This is very common reason for cloudy aquarium water in newly set up fish tanks. It is important to thoroughly rinse your aquarium substrate and decorations before putting them in your tank. If you believe this is the reason for your cloudy fish tank water, there are a couple of things you can do. Give it a couple of days and you should notice that the particles fall to your fish tanks floor leaving clean water behind. If this doesn’t happen on its own you should start 20% water changes until your water clears.

Is a Bacteria Bloom the reason For My Cloudy Aquarium Water?

Did you just do a large water change? Have you just thoroughly cleaned your tank? Have you just medicated you fish? Have you just set up your tank? All of these things can sometimes cause a bacteria bloom. If this sounds your situation, you the best advice is to sit back and wait. When those bacteria establish themselves, your cloudy aquarium water should clear up on its own.

http://www.fishtanktutor.com/how-to-get-rid-of-white-cloudy-aquarium-water

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont want to change too much water at a time you could make the situation worse if you do one i wouldnt do over 15 to 20 gallons max, other than that i dont know

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.Large water changes should be a last resort and can do more harm then good. Try to never change more then 35% in 1 week. Changeing to much water could cause a re cycle from small to unwanted. In turn you lose lots of bacteria that you cant even see and reduces the bacteria to the load your tank has.

you dont want to change too much water at a time you could make the situation worse if you do one i wouldnt do over 15 to 20 gallons max, other than that i dont know

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is everything?

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little less cloudy but definitly still there all my corals are open and none of the fish seem to mind but i was thinking when i added everything i restacked my rocks but as i said it looked great for over a week do you think the newly exposed areas on the rock caused a bloom because i have random patches of light brown algea. should i try another 5% change and leave it alone maybe. side question is lower flow in the refiugium better mine is low flow right now and my calurpa is already starting to re root and grow in less than 2 weeks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it were me I would do another small water change and see if it starts clearing. No need to rush it if all the inhabitants are doing well.

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill do another 10% when i get home from work tonight around 11 or 12 so it will be a 25% change and i aggree if it starts clearing after tonight ill leav it alone. but what do you think should i have more flow in my refug? or isnt that the point to have low flow to let nature do its thing right. i think its funny i used to ask questions at pet care warehouse here locolly now everytime i go in the they start begging me to help them with there salt tanks but i still have tons and tons of things to learn lol

jaydm93teg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did the last change go? are u using any type of purigen or carbon or anything like that?

nevermind just read where it says about your sump......so u have changed 25 percent now and its still cloudy? have you retested since you have done the water change?

OP
OP
Garth Schafluetzel

Garth Schafluetzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah everythimg is the same this is realy bothering me but i think its just going through a bloom because i can see allot of the newly exposed parts of my current live rock have a lite broen film type algea on them and its only on the parts that were covered befor

Back