Dosing Tropic Marin Balling Part C

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting idea. Have you ever tested the salinity of a batch like that? I think there's a point where salt mix will become saturated and fall out of solution, right?

It seems this works fine. TM never needed to do it since their two part was only half as concentrated to begin with.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The timing is not very important, just the total amount. It could be added every day or even multiple times a day by dosing pump, but it can also be once a week or even less without any significant issues, IMO.
So even if I'm dosing less two part at night due to also using Kalk during that period, dosing the balling salts doesn't really have to coincide at precisely the same time you're dosing the Alk and Ca? You just need to get the part C into the system routinely enough to keep it ionically balanced?

For example...

I was dosing 320ml/day of Parts A and B over 24 hours. The Part C balling salts mirrored that same schedule.
I've now reduced my 8p to 8a Alk and Ca dosing two 2/3rds of the previous amount to try and not overshoot my numbers while I'm dosing Kalk during that period.
I'm now down to 267ml per day of all 3 parts.
However, I can't set my balling salts doser to do the same type of scheduling that I can do with the Neptune DOS where I can do different amounts at different time periods.
Is it ok to simply spread the 267ml per day of balling salts over 24 equal doses per 24 hour period?

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems this works fine. TM never needed to do it since their two part was only half as concentrated to begin with.
I had to mix up a new batch of Alk, Ca, and Balling yesterday so I gave it a go. I doubled the 4 scoops of TM balling salt to 8 scoops, and it mixed right up. Got a little warm, but no warmer than with just 4 scoops. So far so good, blended up well. This makes it so much simpler to have it being consumed at the same pace as the Alk and Ca.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even if I'm dosing less two part at night due to also using Kalk during that period, dosing the balling salts doesn't really have to coincide at precisely the same time you're dosing the Alk and Ca? You just need to get the part C into the system routinely enough to keep it ionically balanced?

For example...

I was dosing 320ml/day of Parts A and B over 24 hours. The Part C balling salts mirrored that same schedule.
I've now reduced my 8p to 8a Alk and Ca dosing two 2/3rds of the previous amount to try and not overshoot my numbers while I'm dosing Kalk during that period.
I'm now down to 267ml per day of all 3 parts.
However, I can't set my balling salts doser to do the same type of scheduling that I can do with the Neptune DOS where I can do different amounts at different time periods.
Is it ok to simply spread the 267ml per day of balling salts over 24 equal doses per 24 hour period?

No, the timing of dosing Part C is unimportant. Once a week is plenty often enough, but any time of day is also fine.

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mix the part C at double the concentration (8 scoops/gallon) and then dose equal volumes of all three parts (BRS soda ash and calcium chloride). I have not had any issues with mixing or precipitation. I currently dose 80 ml/day of each to my 65 gallon tank and remove about 0.5 to 1.0 gallons of saltwater per week to maintain salinity at 35 ppt.
I just wanted to say this comment is gold! I don’t have a lot of space for big dosing containers so having to double the amount of part C I was dosing was a pain.

I can confirm using the BRS hybrid method you can double the amount of of part C from 91g to 182g and it mixes clear no precipitation! So now I’m dosing all three parts in equal amounts. Thanks so much for the tip.

Back