H4kimWibowo27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! It's me again, been a long time since posted here. The old tank I had unfortunately got dismantled since I had to move to an apartment and my parents didn't allow a large aquarium there (dw everyone inside was relocated). Fortunately, after a couple years here I was finally able to set up a larger 37gal tank, and recently I got the chance to take on my dream pet, a Dwarf Cuttlefish! I've done a ton research on them since YEARS ago just to prepare for this day.

Currently it's about 4-5cm long, with a good appetite. I feed it live shrimp before and after school, and a crab every other day. It's currently alone, and I don't know if it's a male or female. It has a lot of live rock and caves to hide in, plus a heck load of caulerpa. So it should be living a pretty good life. I do intend on getting another one some time later to get them to breed, but I'm still skeptical since I don't want to risk getting 2 of the same gender.

It's been in here for about 5 days now, and I do try to bond with it and try to make it more comfortable (showing I'm the one giving shrimp, giving more treats, more privacy) but no matter what it still hides in the back half of the tank (in the caulerpa forest) all day. Everytime I show my face it acts scared or worse, turns black and jets away. To this day it hasn't even taken the chance of even exploring the front half of the tank. I know these things take time, but I'm worried I'll just stress it out if I continue trying.

If I'm doing anything horrifyingly wrong please call me out ASAP.

I'll provide pictures when my boy becomes visible again haha

Sincerely, Thanks!!

*My bad if there's any bad writing

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just feed him and let him be. new environment, he’s very nervous. patience is your friend.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, I'll be less intrusive on his privacy, tbh I'm just worried he won't find his shrimps lol. But you're right
I understand the concern over whether or not they’re eating but trust me, if he’s hungry he’ll find the shrimp.

OP
OP
H4kimWibowo27

H4kimWibowo27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, so update here. For the past week Sienna here (yes that's her name now) has been eating well. She just absolutely demolishes every shrimp that goes near her, and she eats fast too. She's still shy as usual, hiding behind the rockwork, she just alternates between two spots throughout the whole day. I also added some extra clean up crew and three small banggai cardinalfish.

So here's the thing, yesterday i did a 30% water change to get a deep clean on all the hidden crevices on the tank, particularly near her hiding spot. I turned off the filter, and after a little while she came out! Like swimming around in the open. I don't think that was supposednto happen though, she looks a bit panicked, and went camo when she saw me. She hung out in the open for a while, looked like she was curious about me as well, but ultimately backed away when my face got too close. Now, I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason she's not exploring around, is because of my filter.

My filter is a large HOB filter that also functions as a mini sump, and also a wavemaker. Because it's placed at the back of the tank, it spews out water from the top back, to the front, and goes back again like a spiral. Could it be, that the other main reason she's not coming out to the front is because of the strong flow? Because her usual place doesn't have flow since its surrounded my rocks and algae.

I'm worried she's not getting enough enrichment since she just says back there. I hope the banggai cardinals i bought she can chase around and get her to be more active.

Also, to close this off, can someone with ample experience regarding these cuttlefish shed some advice on how to bond with them? or at least make them more confident without stressing them out.
I'm just worried lol, i want to give her the best life she could possibly have while in my care

*My bad for any typos

OP
OP
H4kimWibowo27

H4kimWibowo27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture???
My bad I forgot lol, here's from a couple days ago when eating shrimp

For more stuff i have it in my IG Highlights
IMG-20240502-WA0001.jpg IMG-20240502-WA0002.jpg

Attachments

• VID-20240506-WA0093.mp4
    4.1 MB

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 68 73.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back