First Marine Tank - Red Sea Max Nano G2 XL

seanr53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I received my new aquarium tank Wednesday, April 17.

Goal: Create a reef with Montipora / SPS dominated, with multiple, non-shading levels / layers.

Equipment / stock to date:

1) Marco rock, and Carib Sea Arag-alive (Fiji Pink) sand.
2) Finnex 150 Watt HMA odered (cheap Aqua One 100 W glass heater temporarily in place for now)
3) Red sea ATO +
4) Red Sea lid/cover ordered (yet to arrive)

IMG_2165.jpg
IMG_2174.jpg

I began Cycling the tank yesterday, using Dr Tim's fishless cycling using Dr Tim's one and only. I have run into my first issue. Despite following the instructions, my ammonia and nitrite levels are reading 0.05 ppm on the first day.

On the second day, I re-tested the levels, which remained below 0.05 ppm, do I added another dose of ammonium chloride solution (dosing 8 ml of solution), upping it 20% from the day before. my ammonia and nitrite levels are reading 0.05 ppm on the second day, and my nitrate levels are at 0 ppm.

Could this be a case of the live sand kick starting the cycle? Appreciate your opinions.

Going forward, I plan to buy a pair of occy clowns direct from a breeder (who has isolated their breed stock for the past four years), to minimise risk of disease, an add them directly to the display tank. Subsequently, I'll set up a quarantine tank and begin the quarantine process for the next 1 or 2 fish (ultimately 6-8), and begin introducing clean-up crew, once I have my lighting on (currently off for cycling).

As for coral, it is likely a while away, once I am confident I have stability and have the ugly phase under control. I anticipate upgraded controls will be needs by October to assist in monitoring and control, which is the likely timing of coral introductions in earnest.

Very excited to finally begin my reefing journey - look forward to learning from you all.

Regards,

Sean

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I received my new aquarium tank Wednesday, April 17.

Goal: Create a reef with Montipora / SPS dominated, with multiple, non-shading levels / layers.

Equipment / stock to date:

1) Marco rock, and Carib Sea Arag-alive (Fiji Pink) sand.
2) Finnex 150 Watt HMA odered (cheap Aqua One 100 W glass heater temporarily in place for now)
3) Red sea ATO +
4) Red Sea lid/cover ordered (yet to arrive)

IMG_2165.jpg
IMG_2174.jpg

I began Cycling the tank yesterday, using Dr Tim's fishless cycling using Dr Tim's one and only. I have run into my first issue. Despite following the instructions, my ammonia and nitrite levels are reading 0.05 ppm on the first day.

On the second day, I re-tested the levels, which remained below 0.05 ppm, do I added another dose of ammonium chloride solution (dosing 8 ml of solution), upping it 20% from the day before. my ammonia and nitrite levels are reading 0.05 ppm on the second day, and my nitrate levels are at 0 ppm.

Could this be a case of the live sand kick starting the cycle? Appreciate your opinions.

Going forward, I plan to buy a pair of occy clowns direct from a breeder (who has isolated their breed stock for the past four years), to minimise risk of disease, an add them directly to the display tank. Subsequently, I'll set up a quarantine tank and begin the quarantine process for the next 1 or 2 fish (ultimately 6-8), and begin introducing clean-up crew, once I have my lighting on (currently off for cycling).

As for coral, it is likely a while away, once I am confident I have stability and have the ugly phase under control. I anticipate upgraded controls will be needs by October to assist in monitoring and control, which is the likely timing of coral introductions in earnest.

Very excited to finally begin my reefing journey - look forward to learning from you all.

Regards,

Sean
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
I prefer using a bit of live rock for cycling. I was stuck with my tank until live rock was added, then cycled easily.

Last edited:

ColorMeGone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow the cycling instructions and just test what's needed. It took me about two weeks to show a starting cycle. Leave lights off. It will come around slowly.

OP
OP
seanr53

seanr53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Day 11 of cycling.

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: <0.1 ppm
Nitrites: 0.05 ppm
Nitrates: 1.5 ppm

With Nitrates steadily rising, I am confident the nitrogen cycle is completed.

I added copepods on the 27 th (yesterday), and am feeding the tank phytoplankton daily.

My first two fish arrive tomorrow. Here is a photo of the pair:

unnamed.jpg

I began turning the lights the 25th, on for a 6 hour cycle. Lighting at 40%, which equates to 80-100 PAR at top of aquascape.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back