Good or bad Isopods?

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Just curious as the title states. I've never seen copepods this big. They came up to the display rather abruptly as I've seen a few in the fuge but now they're everywhere. I did throw in a batch of my buddies culture a few months back but I don't recall them being so roided out! Maybe came up because of my new sterilizer I installed? Regardless of where they came from, these big guys alright?
20160627_235120.jpg
20160627_234927.jpg
20160627_234734.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're having a bloom and after awhile the numbers will go down. I would be smiling to see that.

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're having a bloom and after awhile the numbers will go down. I would be smiling to see that.
Not gonna lie, I got a little happy inside haha, just wanted to verify. Hopefully the sterilizer doesn't kill em off! But when it comes down to it.... Achilles health..... OR copepods...... hmmmmmm :p

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forreal? People have been harping on me the last 2 weeks about the sterilizer saying it'll kill off all my culture. You seem slightly more educated in that field though!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had many tanks with isopods and UV filters. They are benthic and have no desire to be up swimming anywhere near your sterilizer. That's not the type of critter a UV targets.

Last edited:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, I got a little happy inside haha, just wanted to verify. Hopefully the sterilizer doesn't kill em off! But when it comes down to it.... Achilles health..... OR copepods...... hmmmmmm :p

I just noticed you said copepods. Was that a slip or did you miss me saying isopods?

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fault, I always say copepods because of my buddies business! I did put copepods in the fuge though. Any idea why these isopods would be swarming my montipora? I lost an ORA monti stellata in a matter of 3 days and that's all that turned up in the Rx dip. I've noticed a slight bit of tissue recession on a sunset monti as well, I've had it for years and it's survived the worst of the worst without STN.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry, these are not controversial bugs and are 100% good. There have been zero reports of these going rouge. Theyre after whatever is on your coral to eat. They won't hurt it.

OP
OP
R6REEFER

R6REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry, these are not controversial bugs and are 100% good. There have been zero reports of these going rouge. Theyre after whatever is on your coral to eat. They won't hurt it.
Okay good deal. How could you tell? What would you say is the giveaway characteristic? Size?

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between copepods and isopods? Besides a Mandarin what other inhabitants benefits from copepods and isopods?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish that are small enough to see them, will eat them. My lions and scorps get fat bellies when their tanks are full of pods. Corals that are big enough to catch and hold them, will eat them.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back