Help Hard Plumbing Red Sea Reef Mat 1200

TBSB2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to plumb a Waterbox 330.7 and have ran into an issue. Can anyone that has plumbed in a 1200 to 1 1/4-inch or larger lines explain how they did it? I have not been able to really find anything on this. I know it comes with 1-inch connections but do not want the reduction in size unless there is no other way. I would really like to plumb in the main drain to one side and the secondary to the other.

Any advise would be appreciated.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow do you plan on running through your tank? At full siphon a 1” drain can handle around 2000 GPH. If you are not running it at full siphon (I recommend it since it is a lot quieter) then it will be alot less. I have a reef mat for my 300g and plan on reducing to the 1” as I only plan about 1200-1500 gph through the sump

OP
OP
T

TBSB2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried it yet. The tank will not be here for another week or so. Just trying to preplan and get all my ducks in a row. It will be running full siphon for the sound. Thinking 4 to 5 times turnover also. Running a varios 10 pump which will be feeding the tank, uv, and a 50 gallon tank full of rock on the other side of a wall from the display tank. The tank will sit in our tv room (180 gal there now) so the sound is important. If 1-inch will flow that much, it looks like we will be ok. I guess I will reduce right at the rollermat. Thank you for your help on setting my mind a bit more at ease.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried it yet. The tank will not be here for another week or so. Just trying to preplan and get all my ducks in a row. It will be running full siphon for the sound. Thinking 4 to 5 times turnover also. Running a varios 10 pump which will be feeding the tank, uv, and a 50 gallon tank full of rock on the other side of a wall from the display tank. The tank will sit in our tv room (180 gal there now) so the sound is important. If 1-inch will flow that much, it looks like we will be ok. I guess I will reduce right at the rollermat. Thank you for your help on setting my mind a bit more at ease.
I’m going g to be necking my Synergy Ghost down from 1.5” to 1” as well. Basically it will be like closing the gate valve part way which you need to do to create the siphon. If you look at the chart 1” is 64% the size of the 1.25” so it would be the same as closing the gate valve a third of the way which you may have needed to do anyways based on how much flow you are going with.
IMG_2271.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TBSB2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a very good point. Never thought of it the way you see it. Thank you for your help.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be no issue reducing right at the roller mat with a 1" union + 1>1.25" adapter
If you weren't diverting most of that varios10 elsewhere, a 1" siphon wouldn't be able to handle all the water however (reeftmat wouldnt either and would prematurely exhaust the roll)

OP
OP
T

TBSB2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be no issue reducing right at the roller mat with a 1" union + 1>1.25" adapter
If you weren't diverting most of that varios10 elsewhere, a 1" siphon wouldn't be able to handle all the water however (reeftmat wouldnt either and would prematurely exhaust the roll)
Main reason I bought that large of a pump was to use it to run everything and still have room to not overstress the pump. 1 pump to run reactors, uv, etc. and not have multiple to deal with. Just use valve to control strength of flow for those. I am putting flow meters on everything to keep an eye and dial it in better.

Again, Thank y'all for you help.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back