I love putting one over on the LFS!

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love when they have no clue what some guy ordered and some other guy mis-labeled....

They thought this was a green star polyp and wanted $70 for it.
Screenshot_20240426-160355.png

I showed them it was a galaxea... And the only other sign said LG frags $36.... So the kid said, "yeah, I'll let you have it for $36."

I don't know where all the good pics went. But the thing is 5" x 3" and I lost count at over 60 polyps.

Yay me!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I love when they have no clue what some guy ordered and some other guy mis-labeled....

I showed them it was a galaxea... And the only other sign said LG frags $36.... So the kid said, "yeah, I'll let you have it for $36."

I don't know where all the good pics went. But the thing is 5" x 3" and I lost count at over 60 polyps.
Good find. They can grow quickly

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good find. They can grow quickly
I have one I got in Feb (under $20- live auction) that started with 9 established polyps. I think there are 6 new ones growing up the sides.

I almost didn't buy it because I have "too many".... Then thought, are you nuts?!?!?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one I got in Feb (under $20- live auction) that started with 9 established polyps. I think there are 6 new ones growing up the sides.

I almost didn't buy it because I have "too many".... Then thought, are you nuts?!?!?
No such thing as too many anything…..17gonis and counting I think I have 5 coming in on Thursday!

You were honest with the LFS. That’s what matters.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find if you have room, considering how aggressive they can be. I got one as a freebie in a shipment and gave it away when it tried to kill a couple of my other corals.

saltytanked

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yay me!
$36 for a galaxia that’s gonna cos more problems than they worth unless it’s isolated away from anything else. Cheers!

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$36 for a galaxia that’s gonna cos more problems than they worth unless it’s isolated away from anything else. Cheers!
All by it's lonesome in the corner. Lots of flow and no friends. It hasn't extended a single tentacle more that a 1/4 inch. Neither has the little one.

One of my favia, with it's 6" night time reach is the one to worry about. Cheers.

saltytanked

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All by it's lonesome in the corner. Lots of flow and no friends. It hasn't extended a single tentacle more that a 1/4 inch. Neither has the little one.

One of my favia, with it's 6" night time reach is the one to worry about. Cheers.
Meh to each their own. Wouldn’t catch me putting one in my tank ever again, even free

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were trying to sell that big of a frag of “GSP” for 70? Wow if that really was GSP probably wouldn't have sold for that!
I was trying to make my getaway rather than challenge them on a price they'd never get for a $20 GSP. Lol

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find if you have room, considering how aggressive they can be. I got one as a freebie in a shipment and gave it away when it tried to kill a couple of my other corals.
Apparently it's either love 'em or hate 'em. Lotsa stuff like that in this hobby, no?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find, looks real healthy also! I’ve seen nice galexia frags but never bought one because I don’t have space for something else with sweepers. Maybe in my next tank :)

Regarding the main topic / subject, me too!! My LFS is ridiculous overcharged for EVERYTHING…which keeps me from buying coral from them. But then I found out if trade in coral they will give me 50% of what they would sell it for, or 75% if I want credit.

I brought in a 3x4” rock of gsp hoping for 20$ and the guys like what do you want for it…we already have some gsp so can’t make a high offer this time. I know first rule of sales is don’t say the first number…I played dumb and was like the whole rock is covered, I don’t know what it’s worth. He offered 50 cash or 75$ credit! For gsp!

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yay me!
That’s funny.

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1555.jpeg
    IMG_1555.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1550.jpeg
    IMG_1550.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find, looks real healthy also! I’ve seen nice galexia frags but never bought one because I don’t have space for something else with sweepers. Maybe in my next tank :)

Regarding the main topic / subject, me too!! My LFS is ridiculous overcharged for EVERYTHING…which keeps me from buying coral from them. But then I found out if trade in coral they will give me 50% of what they would sell it for, or 75% if I want credit.

I brought in a 3x4” rock of gsp hoping for 20$ and the guys like what do you want for it…we already have some gsp so can’t make a high offer this time. I know first rule of sales is don’t say the first number…I played dumb and was like the whole rock is covered, I don’t know what it’s worth. He offered 50 cash or 75$ credit! For gsp!
My husband, who knows nothing about corals except that they make me smile... And sometimes cost a lot. When he went in the LFS one day to pick up food, he just happened to see that their frags were on clearance. He knew it was a zoa, but there it ends. He was so proud that he got one $6.50. (He gets points in my book for knowing it's a coral and trying to be involved... Some call it enabling. Meh... tomato, tomahto)

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait... You're in Maine... You're not the lfs guy. Are you?

Rut roh
No but I think they were cultured from same place somewhere. I found mine at PetCo while strolling through to get cat food. They had no idea what it was. Came in as miscellaneous

Back