Jared’s sca 50g reef (1 year update 5-17/24)

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Movie night

IMG_3728.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So may 17th is the 1 year anniversary of the 50g, I cleaned it really well over the weekend and took some photos.

We can start with the sump area, it hasn’t changed too much, but it’s certainly not as clean as it once was.

Day 1
IMG_0915.jpeg

Now - overall it hasn’t changed much. I added the skimmer, sandbed container, mangroves and the filter sock holder. I need to tidy up the wires a bit. But it’s been functioning well for me. The 10g is borderline too small now as it’s packed full so I do want to go bigger down here.
IMG_1151.jpeg

You can see the small fan and kamoer dozers mounted
IMG_1154.jpeg

The mangroves are doing very well, both have the second set of leaves, I trimmed the growth bud so now the new growth should start to branch out.
IMG_1157.jpeg
IMG_1153.jpeg

OP
OP
Ef4life

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is may 17th - it’s the 1 year anniversary of the sca50g.

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1279.jpeg
IMG_1245.jpeg
IMG_3970.jpeg
IMG_3969.jpeg
IMG_3971.jpeg
IMG_3972.jpeg
IMG_3973.jpeg
IMG_3981.jpeg

Overall I’m very happy with how this tank is starting to progress. Algae issues are seemingly starting to get better as I added a few turbo snails from my other tanks temporarily to help out.

But the reality of the situation is it’s getting getting close to summer and getting hot. Inside my house today is 102* f and I have 2 fans running on the tank and sump to keep it cool. So far the tanks surviving for now, but its only may, and it’s going to only get hotter as we get closer to summer. afternoon temps on the tank are
Reaching 82-83*, So that leads me to a difficult choice - try and keep this tank cool, or take it down until construction is done. Also since I’m running the fans, evaporation is like an extra 1-1.5g a day I’m having to add manually since I don’t use a traditional ato.

So I’m really leaning towards taking it down, there is a mess of drywall and paint work that needs to be done, and it’s going to be rough keeping it out of the system, I will have to temporarily set up a tank in my bedroom with my other system (omg I have like no room left in my room) . My bedroom has a small window ac I bought to keep me and the reef system in my room cool. But it’s barely adequate for the room as is with 2 tanks, so adding a 3rd constant 78* heat source will mean getting a bigger window unit to keep up.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back