KALK Dosing question

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all! Ive been dosing Kalk with a medium sized Kalk reactor and a kamoer to match my evaporation rate. I clean it once every 3-4 weeks right now and usually add 6 tablespoons of BRS Kalk to about 2 gallons of RODI that my reactor holds. Ill add one or two tablespoons once a week or two. My Ca has been a steady 500-540 and I usually manually dose Alk at the moment once every couple days with soda ash.

I'm looking to dial this in a little better and have read a few forums as well as an article on ReefKeeping.com. I tried to make as much sense of the article as I could.

The article I read states that "the amount of solid lime that can be dissolved in that water, are finite."

Long story short... If I add more Kalk to my reactor, will my Ca go through the roof? Or can I expect it to stay in the low 500s? My goal is to use Kalk to effectively help increase my Ph.

Im not looking to dump a bunch of Kalk in my reactor today. Just trying to educate myself on dialing it in better! Sorry for the short story and happy reefing!!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s a calculator out there that says how much limewater you should/could add. As far as ph boost probably best to explore other options for that like co2 scrubber.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s almost no scenario where short term addition of more kalkwasser will cause calcium to rise too much while maintaining alk. Each 20 ppm boost to calcium adds 2.8 dKH of alk.

Its excessive alk that is the likely outcome of dosing more and more kalkwasser.

OP
OP
Semper.Reefing

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There’s almost no scenario where short term addition of more kalkwasser will cause calcium to rise too much while maintaining alk. Each 20 ppm boost to calcium adds 2.8 dKH of alk.

Its excessive alk that is the likely outcome of dosing more and more kalkwasser.
ahhh ok. I may try to bump it up slowly then. Thank you for the straight forward answer! I'm happy I came across your article. I have a way better understanding of Kalk after reading.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhh ok. I may try to bump it up slowly then. Thank you for the straight forward answer! I'm happy I came across your article. I have a way better understanding of Kalk after reading.

Glad that was helpful.

Happy Reefing!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back