OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks looks like posts in the lounge forum not show up in latest post list. Do not miss this. Its pictures that few have seen before

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First swimmers pf the year - press "spela från...."

See

Sincerely Lasse

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, appreciate the advice. I need simplicity but want to catch the wonderful coral colors!

Hopefully I can find it on sale.

Btw, your Tank is beautiful- and the videos are great!
Hi Lasse,
I purchased the Olympus TG-7; couldn’t find the older model that wasn’t used.

The manual is very extensive- I have never owned a real camera before.

It has all these Underwater features; but I want to take full photos of my display and that would be outside of the water.

What settings do you use when taking tank display photos vs. close-up or macro shots? Do you still use Underwater features?

Also, do you change your tank lights at all when you photograph? I have the AI Blades and can adjust as needed.

I really appreciate your help and it was because of your beautiful photos and staying simple that I purchased the camera. Very excited!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The settings is the same if you use it under or over water. There is a learning curve. I will come back to you with some tips later on. I have to look at the tg7;s manual first - I´m not sure its the same as TG6

Sincerely Lasse

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The settings is the same if you use it under or over water. There is a learning curve. I will come back to you with some tips later on. I have to look at the tg7;s manual first - I´m not sure its the same as TG6

Sincerely Lasse
All reviews said it barely changed from TG-6. Thank you for reviewing.

Ok, Underwater settings it is!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1715338972001.png

I normally use one of the three first

They have a white balance inbuild in the program but normally - it does not work with our aquarium lights (to much blue in them). Therefore I use the White Balance adaption trick

1715339403168.png

1715339449977.png

Blue circle - your own white Balance

Chose one and press info in order to catch a new option Now you should aim your camera on something white I normally use the part of the sand that´s are most white. Press the trigger and say yes to the question. If you do not have white sand - use a white plastic sheet inside the aquarium but make the adjustment with the camera outside. I normally use all lighting at 100 % when I do a photo session (no flash)

After the picture is done - I use Photoshop and some of the automatic options in Picture - adjustment.

I normally use ISO between 100 and 200

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1715338972001.png

I normally use one of the three first

They have a white balance inbuild in the program but normally - it does not work with our aquarium lights (to much blue in them). Therefore I use the White Balance adaption trick

1715339403168.png

1715339449977.png

Red circle - your own white Balance

Chose one and press info in order to catch a new option Now you should aim your camera on something white I normally use the part of the sand that´s are most white. Press the trigger and say yes to the question. If you do not have white sand - use a white plastic sheet inside the aquarium but make the adjustment with the camera outside. I normally use all lighting at 100 % when I do a photo session (no flash)

After the picture is done - I use Photoshop and some of the automatic options in Picture - adjustment.
Lasse, I can’t thank you enough! The fact that you took the time to read the new manual; give me the instructions with pictures (I am a visual learner so I needed these); and also gave me step by step on my lighting and How to take photo really humbles me with your kindness.

I won the TSA grand prize and they are flying me to their store/farm in Florida on Monday. I am taking photos of my current DT and also taking lots of photos while I’m there, I started a dedicated thread for this incredible gift I am receiving. Here is the link if you are interested in seeing my photos and my special reef I have created. I will be adding your inspiration and guidance in a post in there as well:

Thread 'The TSA Grand Prize Tour Experience!'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-tsa-grand-prize-tour-experience.1050770/

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today - I did a couple of analyses of my water below my DSB.

There has been a lot of discussions lately if there can be any total ammonia "pockets" in an existing mature tank. My tank is constructed in a way that it is rather easy to investigate this. It has a DSB in the refugium that have a reversed flow. I pump water down to the plenum and further up through the DSB

The flow is around 1000 L/H through this compartment of my aquarium with water containing around 0.1 NH3/NH4 as I show below (from march).

1715699904518.png

My PO4 is rather high and on its rising - for the moment 0.89 in the display water. 1 week ago - I had to switch my pump that supplies the plenum with water from the display. The same type but it seems to give what is supposed to do (around 120 L/H) -> 2880 L/24 hour. The old gave maybe only half that amount as it was old and tired. I have gone down with flow now to around 58 L/H.

What did I find and am I surprised? I´m not surprised by myself - it was in line with what I had expected due to experiences in both anaerobic and aerobic environments I have been working with before but it maybe will surprise some others - like those that always claim that tanks with a lot of corals and surface never can produce high amounts of NH3/NH4 and therefore all measurements that shows the opposite is false.

In clear figures

NH3/NH4 (total ammonia) in the DT - around 0.07 mg/L
NH3/NH4 (total ammonia) in the bottom of the DSB - around 0.89
PO4 in DT - around 0.89 mg/L
PO4 in the bottom of the DSB - around 1.78 (read 0.89 too but it was diluted fifty/fifty with new fresh saltwater)
NO3 in the DT - around 6.4
NO3 in the bottom of the DSB - around 3,8 mg/L
NO2 in the DT - around 0.013 mg/L
NO2 in the bottom of the DSB - around 0.03

1715701126340.png

These figures shows that activity of heterotrophic bacteria produce a lot of both NH3/NH4 and PO4 when they are feeded with organic carbon. It also shows that for the moment - my DSB mostly act as a NO3 producer (its probably mostly aerobic) and I have slowing down the flow and increase the organic carbon dosing in order to favour denitrification. The nitrification will happens at other places in my tank.

Sincerely Lasse

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back