May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1693241281724.png

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no possible way gen 1 owners can feel safe other than from sheer denial ten miles wide, I'm sorry for that. these things are breaking at lightspeed.

the only preemptive move is not to own a gen 1, transfer out of it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no possible way gen 1 owners can feel safe other than from sheer denial ten miles wide, I'm sorry for that. these things are breaking at lightspeed.
The sheer evidence is... overwhelming. Red Sea needs to step up and start adding that front aluminum lip to all their tank models.

They could also create a retrofit kit consisting of the top panel on the cabinets although arguably draining, taking everything apart, removing the tank, installing the new components and then putting everything back together would be really daunting for most.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that's big cost even if it is done correctly to cause a skip cycle move, and doubly big cost to recover from the crash if it's not moved/relocated correctly. reef tank surgery/moving contents to another tank/ is life on the line for sure even though it's easy to do if we run the right steps.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that's big cost even if it is done correctly to cause a skip cycle move, and doubly big cost to recover from the crash if it's not moved/relocated correctly. reef tank surgery/moving contents to another tank/ is life on the line for sure even though it's easy to do if we run the right steps.
They could start with adding the aluminum lip to all tanks (not just the 625 and higher models). Although the incidence of issues with G2/G2+ tanks seems really low (not sure if any have been reported yet).

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, a preemptive physical reinforcement before the takedown. agreed, that's prudent, red sea isn't going to help at all/not a peep/but if techy users can find out how to reinforce the tanks that is solid.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, a preemptive physical reinforcement before the takedown. agreed, that's prudent, red sea isn't going to help at all/not a peep/but if techy users can find out how to reinforce the tanks that is solid.
Certain models (625 and up, all models with aluminum stands) already have at least a front lip to support the "floating" feature. While I haven't been able to confirm, images seem to indicate the aluminum stands also have the aluminum lip on the sides as well (so all 3 "floating" edges are supported).

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain models (625 and up, all models with aluminum stands) already have at least a front lip to support the "floating" feature. While I haven't been able to confirm, images seem to indicate the aluminum stands also have the aluminum lip on the sides as well (so all 3 "floating" edges are supported).

I can confirm. I have the new 625 G2+ and there is an aluminum lip that supports the front pane glass, along with the 1/4" leveling mat that also extends to the lip to even out the weight distribution at an even smaller scale than imperfections of wood can do.

I was very hesitant to get a Red Sea as I scoured these threads, but it seems every single problem was with the old design flaw. With the thicker and armored seams all around (except the rear corners for some reason don't have the armor), the 3/4" glass, reinforced stands, I had a bit of confidence pulling the trigger - although I'll admit I have my concerns.

I think my concerns are now with large rimless tanks than Red Sea themselves. I've found (what I believe) is a proportional amount of rimless over 100G tank failures with other brands (including custom reputable builders) - fewer posts because much fewer owners (no science but the owners' group on FB are strikingly vast in difference of members - RS has really taken the rimless market by storm the last 5 years). I recently just read about a CADE failure.

If I could turn back time, and I still wanted to get a RS tank, I probably would have spent a bit extra and opted for the S series which uses aluminum stands and top bracing.

IMO, anyone with a 5ft+ rimless tank should keep an eye open, regardless of brand. I keep reading about "other brands being built like a tank", but we should really compare rimless large tanks only.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for posting that is very helpful information for buyers, thanks tons

It's amazing what consumers can do to inform one another when the main company cowers with it's head in the sand. due to obvious liability, I can see why they simply refuse to acknowledge any single aspect of this entire thread, at any time in the present/past or future.

red sea: you're a disgrace to reefing and everybody knows it, but you have seemingly excellent post-G1 tank designs. I'll let you know for sure by 2026.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm. I have the new 625 G2+ and there is an aluminum lip that supports the front pane glass, along with the 1/4" leveling mat that also extends to the lip to even out the weight distribution at an even smaller scale than imperfections of wood can do.
The S-series (including the two top-end peninsula tanks) seem to also have the aluminium edge on the sides as well (probably to do with the aluminium stand design). So that would be 6 tanks with reinforced support plus Euro bracing.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was very hesitant to get a Red Sea as I scoured these threads, but it seems every single problem was with the old design flaw. With the thicker and armored seams all around (except the rear corners for some reason don't have the armor), the 3/4" glass, reinforced stands, I had a bit of confidence pulling the trigger - although I'll admit I have my concerns.

I think my concerns are now with large rimless tanks than Red Sea themselves. I've found (what I believe) is a proportional amount of rimless over 100G tank failures with other brands (including custom reputable builders) - fewer posts because much fewer owners (no science but the owners' group on FB are strikingly vast in difference of members - RS has really taken the rimless market by storm the last 5 years). I recently just read about a CADE failure.

If I could turn back time, and I still wanted to get a RS tank, I probably would have spent a bit extra and opted for the S series which uses aluminum stands and top bracing.

IMO, anyone with a 5ft+ rimless tank should keep an eye open, regardless of brand. I keep reading about "other brands being built like a tank", but we should really compare rimless large tanks only.
Just for comparison sake, I have a 6 foot rimless 180 gallon planet. I am not sure about RS, but my planet is rimmed on the entire bottom. A very thick rim at that, with the stand supporting all panels completely. Not sure if RS are like that as far as the lower rimming?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for comparison sake, I have a 6 foot rimless 180 gallon planet. I am not sure about RS, but my planet is rimmed on the entire bottom. A very thick rim at that, with the stand supporting all panels completely. Not sure if RS are like that as far as the lower rimming?
My Red Sea 750XXL has 3/4" glass on every pane and corner and seam bracing on all edges.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, mine is 3/4 as well. The stand is solid oak and way over built. Just didn’t know if the RS have the bottom rimmed. It looks just like a rimmed tank without top rim.
The bottom is rimless with the "floating" feature.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, mine is 3/4 as well. The stand is solid oak and way over built. Just didn’t know if the RS have the bottom rimmed. It looks just like a rimmed tank without top rim.
When you say rimmed, do you mean bracing? With tanks this size and larger, I don’t think a plastic rim would do anything to keep it together, only bracing structures. There’s no bottom bracing on mine, or even the S. The S only has top bracing I believe.

One thing I believe Plantet does, is they have all of the side/front/back glass panes sit on the bottom glass pane as the support system. The glass (have to check the rear) on the sides and front all connect even with the stand at the edge of the bottom plane, rather than sit on top in order to hide the visual seams from the front. I do t like this and I believe this is a huge contributing factor to the failures (on top of not having the lip to support the glass that’s already not supported).

They could have gotten away with the “floating glass” if they used the bottom glass plane as the foundational support structure for all the sides. Rather than that, they rely on the silicon (which I believe could be the best stuff out there and would fail eventually if there wasn’t any type of support for the heavy glass plus water pressure.

Last edited:

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say rimmed, do you mean bracing? With tanks this size and larger, I don’t think a plastic rim would do anything to keep it together, only bracing structures. There’s no bottom bracing on mine, or even the S. The S only has top bracing I believe.

One thing I believe Plantet does, is they have all of the side/front/back glass panes sit on the bottom glass pane as the support system. The glass (have to check the rear) on the sides and front all connect even with the stand at the edge of the bottom plane, rather than sit on top in order to hide the visual seams from the front. I do t like this and I believe this is a huge contributing factor to the failures (on top of not having the lip to support the glass that’s already not supported).

They could have gotten away with the “floating glass” if they used the bottom glass plane as the foundational support structure for all the sides. Rather than that, they rely on the silicon (which I believe could be the best stuff out there and would fail eventually if there wasn’t any type of support for the heavy glass plus water pressure.
It’s a bracing structure. The stand has a lip that comes up and conceals it. It’s very thick.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The S-series (including the two top-end peninsula tanks) seem to also have the aluminium edge on the sides as well (probably to do with the aluminium stand design). So that would be 6 tanks with reinforced support plus Euro bracing.
Just checked the S series again, they have both top and bottom bracing (even in the smaller S-550 G2+) which are painted black to blend in more. These are probably the safest readily available tanks out there for rimless designs before going super high end or custom.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the S series again, they have both top and bottom bracing (even in the smaller S-550 G2+) which are painted black to blend in more. These are probably the safest readily available tanks out there for rimless designs before going super high end or custom.
Yes, the Euro bracing on those models is a definite plus.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back