MB7 question

snookin321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all i have been dosing vodka for about 2 weeks now and i just picked up a bottle of MB7.....should i stop vodka for now and do the 2 week start up for the MB7 and than continue with the vodka again after the two weeks.......or is it ok to continue the vodka during this two week period with the mb7? thanks in advance!

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have NO experience with this product:neutral:, never thought I had a need.
I know people who have taken both approaches, with no noticable ill-effect be prepared for extra skimmate if you dose both at the same time.

OP
OP
S

snookin321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey thanks for the info........yea my skimmer is going insane as we speak! guess thats a good thing!

powderhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was in the same boat as you, i stopped the vodka for 2 weeks. used the mb7 as instuctions say for a new system, then restarted vodka from the beginning again. Ive seen some good results so far.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the deal with the bacterial driven systems. You provide bacteria (i.e. MB7, ZeoBak, etc.) and, in the smart case, a food source (i.e. ZeoFood, BioFuel, Vodka, etc.). I wouldn't stop the food source dosing. Keep doing it but reduce the quantity a bit. Build your bacterial population up in conjunction with the food. Does that answer your question? If not, let me know and I will do what I can to help. I am pretty well versed in the bacterial driven systems.

OP
OP
S

snookin321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats sound good Jay........i figured as much cause the vodka will help fuel it.......i will take your advice and cut back on the vodka and build it up as times goes on........any other advice on when to dose? like either when lights first come on or dose at night time? right now i'm currently dosing a little after the lights come on.....thanks for the info

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make the dosing convenient for you. I like to dose first thing in the morning, usually before lights on. This way I can dose during my regular morning routine before I leave for work. I use all Brightwell products (used to use ZeoVit but its too $$$ for me).

I have a 120g with 40br sump and about 100# of LR. Here's my dosing regimen:
MB7 - 3 drops daily
Biofuel - same as MB7
PhytoChrom - 5mL daily (for 4 weeks then increase)
ZooPlanktosM - same as Phyto
VitaMarin C - 6 drops daily (for 4 weeks then double)
VitaMarin M - same as Vit C
CoralAmino - 3mL twice per week

I mix the PhytoChrom, ZooPlanktos, Vit C, Vit M, and CoralAmino (when needed) together and feed the tank after I cut off the return pump (to keep it from going into the overflow). Leave the return pump off for 15-20 minutes. On the weekends I will also add in some Garlic Guard and a chunk of Rod's food to the mix and dose after the lights come on so that my fish can eat as well.

MB7 and BioFuel are dosed into the sump. I also use the NeoZeo zeoliths in a Vertex 1.5L reactor. I pump (clean) the reactor when I dose them. The NeoZeo gets changed out at 75% once every 6 weeks.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. If you couldn't tell, I'm a HUGE fan of the ULNS systems.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to add to the advice given which seems very well, I dose both just after the lights come on... Bacteria tends to drop your ph so night time is not a good idea...also I dose the mb7 into the display and the vodka into the sump to prevent a bloom and cloudy water... Hth..;)

OP
OP
S

snookin321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys.......i'm going to be doing that tomorrow mb7 in the display and vodka in the sump i was just dosing them both into the display

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing vodka and biodigest and would put in 1 amp of biodigest per month. I ran out and just picked up mb7 to try. I am dropping my vodka dosage to 4ml per day(from 6ml) and starting the mb7 very low, 4 or 5 drops per day, and working my way up with the mb7.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you using MB 7 . Whats is the reason 4 using.
I dont add any suppliments, to my tank.
System is around 400 plus gallons.
No carbon , no phos reducer .
System is all anemone , with hadoni, bubble tips ,giganteas.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul I have dosed vodka before . Are there any good articles on the MB 7 .
Or is everyone following directions on label.
Why use MB 7 ??

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg, the bacterial driven systems are a different form of nutrient export. They create a more efficient export system than any macroalgae system out there. The end goal is to reduce nutrients and zooxanthellae populations so that you can control/modify colors in your SPS corals. I don't have links to the articles on this computer but I will try to remember to post them when I can. For some informed reading, go check out the zeovit website. They are all basically the same system just a different brand name. I used to use zeovit, that is was got me started in the ULNS methods.

Paul I have dosed vodka before . Are there any good articles on the MB 7 .
Or is everyone following directions on label.
Why use MB 7 ??

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much following the label is the best bet with mb7...
I over dosed mb7 on a tank one time when I was cycling it and I had diatom out breaks, and a cyano problem....
Read through some of sonnyx articles he has it documented very well.... I have done thr mb7 and found it best were the directions state... I'm at such a low dose of mb7 currently I might just drop it and stick with the vodka and see were it goes.....

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB7 is one of those things like vodka that there is no one answer. Each tank is different. I just started very low slowly increased dosage and kept testing. When I got diatoms or anything I would just bump it back and go with that dose. I started with one drop a day and kept increasing every few 3 or four days. When I was using the Biodigest I just dosed it once per month.

troylee, when I was not feeding heavily I was able to just do vodka. I found that when I feed heavy the mb7 helps. I just like fat fish...:bigsmile:

Last edited:

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using MB7 for over 2 weeks now and haven't seen a difference in my tank. Yesterday I put in a vial of Bio Digest and within a few hours the tank looks crystal clear amazing. I have never seen my water so clear and pretty. Should I stop using MB7 now that I started dosing bio digest?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using MB7 for over 2 weeks now and haven't seen a difference in my tank. Yesterday I put in a vial of Bio Digest and within a few hours the tank looks crystal clear amazing. I have never seen my water so clear and pretty. Should I stop using MB7 now that I started dosing bio digest?

IMO bacterial diversity is key and the reason most add another source such as Biodigest or MB7. I think the reason for the difference in your clarity is Biodigest has way more bacteria in one amp. I think you would have gotten the same results if you dosed more MB7. I have used both and got great results. If you have both there is no reason you cannot alternate between MB7 and Biodigest but I would not dose both together on top of each other or you may end up with a bloom in your tank. Just my .02. HTH :bigsmile:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back