Neptune Trident worth it in 2023?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking to get a Neptune trident, is it worth it? any other options out there worth looking into or are there any expected refreshes to the system I should wait for?

I have a heavily stocked mixed reef and use red seas dosing pumps. Do I need any of the apex equipment to use the trident?

I just am looking for an auto monitoring solution. Thanks!

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thats a good question. I bought one used. It has been online since Saturday. Alk is on the low side. Trident = 7.8 , salifert = 8.2 I haven't tested calicum and mag but it appears to be very close to what i have on salifert. I'll have to let it run for another month or 2 to see if it is worth it

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my trident but I haven’t tried any of the other auto testers so I can’t say how it compares.

You will need an apex to use the trident there is no standalone version of the trident.
Gotcha, so I still need the apex controller to connect the trident to. Does the Jr one work, or do I need the main/pro one?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, so I still need the apex controller to connect the trident to. Does the Jr one work, or do I need the main/pro one?
As far as I know it will work with any of the apex models that have been released since the A2 in 2016. I don’t know specifically but I can’t imagine it doesn’t work the the new jr.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually sell a bundle that is the new apex jr with a trident so I’m sure it’s compatible. You would need to use a power adapter and aquabus cable for the trident since the apex jr doesn’t have a eb832 so you wouldn’t have any 1link ports.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i could say it was. Mine has been in the shop longer than it has been on the tank...and the entire time it has been on the tank i have to do the 'mental math' to try and equate to my trusted tests. I regret dropping over 600 on this as it has only given me a false sense of security when it is kind of working. I really want to make this work..just every time i turn around its another thing going wrong.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general rule I have balked at all the offerings. Expensive, rife with issues and built to require spending a fair amount of money on consumables, repairs and replacement parts. I would absolutely love to have an auto tester but IMO test automation is just not there yet and is more of a money grab. I think ICMP type testing in a user appliance will be the breakthrough. Basically, what we need is a mini mass spectrometer type device that uses no reagents. Not too farfetched and hopefully not that far off.

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have pretty much have used all the testers except GHL.

Alkatronic: works well. It can be noisy and requires calibration regularly. Results very depending on how accurate you are with mixing the reagent. It will correct for ALk swings by dosing. Not a fan! it seems to want to dump 45+ ML's for small corrections. Example. You set a range of 8.5 to 9 DKH. if the test finds that it is 8.45, it will dose enough to jump to 9dkh. I have found that it will jump a full DKH all at once. Cheapest to run. Solid machine and it works great with a CA reactor. As long as the reagent is mixed correctly, it gives very good results.

Mastertronic: Pain in the butt! Works when it works but always seems to require "tinkering" to keep it working correctly. It requires regular needle changes and they are pricey! Silicone caps for the reagent vials also need to changed regularly. The needles pierce them so they get worn and some reagents rot them. Not recommended unless you like to mess with it a lot!

Focustronic does not have great customer service. Eric and Jonas are great but hard to get help when you need it.

Apex: The best way I found to get consistent results is to use trusted tests kits and calibrate with your tank water. The normal calibration procedure always seems to give Wildy different results. Most people say don't chase the numbers but look at the trends. I say I want both! Calibrating with tank water does that and seems very consistent. Also use the Needle guides.

I'm using my Trident and I trust the results I am getting. I cross check with other tests and they are all consistent with each other. I'm also letting the Trident control my Dosing for ALk. When controlled dosing was first added to the software, it was not as clear cut as it is now. during setup, it spells out how much +/- it will dose. 35% up or down. They really improved it. So far, I like what I am seeing. Its almost Half the price of the alkatronic and way cheaper than the mastertronic

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tridents on 2 tanks -- hoping to get a third one for another tank + frag. I'm after trend vs the actual number. As long as they're "close enough" I'm ok. Like others have said, still need a second test kit (I like Hanna) to validate after switching out solutions & calibration. Similar to other automated test devices, Tridents do go bad and require maintenance to keep going. Having said that, I'm happy with the Trident. It's not perfect but it's way better trying to test manually everyday...

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost a year with mine and not a single hiccup. I had to flush the draw line once when I cleaned the cuvette but that is it. Never even calibrated it. Not once. Consistent numbers every time and I have used 4 different lot numbers for the reagents.

I do have a caveat though. The alkalinity reads 1 to 1.5dkh low and always has. I split the difference and say 1.25dkh. So my Trident reads 7dkh and I know my tank is around 8.25dkh. I don't give a rip if it is 8dkh, 8.2dkh, or 8.5dkh. I don't care if the Trident is only reading .5dkh off now (assuming the Trident is wrong and not my Hanna.) I can see the trend and can watch my tank. Things are happy and growing? Good enough. If it comes down to manually testing a tank, I don't do it. I know I won't. Over 17 years in, I know myself and my limits. I have way better things to do than test my tank once a week. So $600 for the convenience of testing daily and watching trends? Count me in.

I also set it up to only test half as often. Meaning reagents cost me less than $100 per year. Buy them on sale at Black Friday and the 6 month will last you a year. I actaully have an excess supply of Reagent A now. Like 4 bottles LOL

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if this has been said earlier - but it totally is.
Here is why
1) Is it almost to the point accurate - Answer will be no. for example in one of my tanks it gives 650 calcium reading which is equivalent to 450 actual (checked with hanna)

But - i know that my parameters are in range. Like @rtparty said - i dont give a rats **** what number it is - as long as it is within range.

2) Recently my controller malfunction and it dumped my complete bottle of 1/2 gallon all4reef into my 100G tank - I was able to just able to see it - get the water change (around 60%) and fix the issue (or atleast make corals to survive)

So for point 1 definitely but more so for point 2 absolutely. All i can say is i will never setup another reef without it or a system like it.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost a year with mine and not a single hiccup. I had to flush the draw line once when I cleaned the cuvette but that is it. Never even calibrated it. Not once. Consistent numbers every time and I have used 4 different lot numbers for the reagents.

I do have a caveat though. The alkalinity reads 1 to 1.5dkh low and always has. I split the difference and say 1.25dkh. So my Trident reads 7dkh and I know my tank is around 8.25dkh. I don't give a rip if it is 8dkh, 8.2dkh, or 8.5dkh. I don't care if the Trident is only reading .5dkh off now (assuming the Trident is wrong and not my Hanna.) I can see the trend and can watch my tank. Things are happy and growing? Good enough. If it comes down to manually testing a tank, I don't do it. I know I won't. Over 17 years in, I know myself and my limits. I have way better things to do than test my tank once a week. So $600 for the convenience of testing daily and watching trends? Count me in.

I also set it up to only test half as often. Meaning reagents cost me less than $100 per year. Buy them on sale at Black Friday and the 6 month will last you a year. I actaully have an excess supply of Reagent A now. Like 4 bottles LOL

Hmmm

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a Neptune trident, is it worth it? any other options out there worth looking into or are there any expected refreshes to the system I should wait for?

Worth is subjective. How often do you run manual tests? How consistent are you with your testing methods? How much time does it take you to run each test, total time across all. Alk, Ca, and Mg?

With regards to product refresh there isn't anything publicly stated. We just know the Trident (Alk, Ca, and Mg).

I have a heavily stocked mixed reef and use red seas dosing pumps. Do I need any of the apex equipment to use the trident?

Neptune has a FAQ for the Trident and it is listed there. Example:
1691014939774.png

I just am looking for an auto monitoring solution. Thanks!

If I was in your shoes I'd change the question up a bit and ask what your goals are as it relates to the display and a controller. Do you need a controller? Do you want a controller? What do you wish to achieve using a controller? Make a list of things you want to achieve today, tomorrow, and 5 years from now. You mentioned automated testing. Great. Do you want to dose based on a results? Do you want to trigger an alarm or alert notification if a result is bad?

How old is your display? How mature are the corals? Frags? Mature colonies? Mix? To your question about the Trident, yes. It is good. It is great actually. However it is also a piece of equipment where as two hobbyist can use one with a similar testing schedule and have completely different experiences. My experience has been nothing but amazing. Consistent. Trustworthy. There are posts that show frustration.

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Trident and I really like it for the simplicity of not having to remember to do parameter tests… which is hard with two little kids under 4.

I will say that like others have eluded to, you do want to calibrate to your specific tank water as reading myriad accounts of having the calibration fluid be off by a significant margin.

All in all, if you have the Apex ecosystem then there’s no good reason not to use one. IMO

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a Trident and I really like it for the simplicity of not having to remember to do parameter tests… which is hard with two little kids under 4.

I will say that like others have eluded to, you do want to calibrate to your specific tank water as reading myriad accounts of having the calibration fluid be off by a significant margin.

All in all, if you have the Apex ecosystem then there’s no good reason not to use one. IMO
I have heard that from many that the tank water calibration seems to be accurate as well as consistent. from my experience with using the Neptune calibration Method vs tank water, I have been pretty happy with the results and trust my trident (to a point)

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that from many that the tank water calibration seems to be accurate as well as consistent. from my experience with using the Neptune calibration Method vs tank water, I have been pretty happy with the results and trust my trident (to a point)

I would also say, like all things, it comes down to end user and what they are willing to put in/get out.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 68 73.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%

Back