OP
OP
bhanko

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask basically the same question -- why are they a problem for "you"?
*to me they're free, natural filtration at worst, unless they're causing some issues (mechanically or cosmetically)
Only an issue because 1) I’m new to this hobby and everything is scary (lol) and 2) just worried that they will impede the float sensor for the fleece roller/ start clogging things up

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. Anyone know what the cause could be. I think I read somewhere that it could be silicates which I’ll test for with the triton icp and go from there. Any advice appreciated
You likely have enough nutrients and conditions for their growth (silica for their skeletons, dissolved organic carbons for them to eat, etc.). I consider them most welcome for nutrient consumption, particularly DOCs. Just keep an eye on equipment so that they don't block sensors or obstruct flow for pumps.

Here's a good thread post with helpful links to read:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are fine where they are. Can go up or down, just not to zero. Nitrates could go up a bit. But all that depends entirely on what is living in your tank and what you put into the tank every day.

Do you have nuisance algae problems? That could be pushing down your nutrients. My phosphates are 0.06-0.1, and my nitrates are near zero, but I dump a a TON of variety food in daily, so corals seem to be getting what they need.

OP
OP
bhanko

bhanko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are fine where they are. Can go up or down, just not to zero. Nitrates could go up a bit. But all that depends entirely on what is living in your tank and what you put into the tank every day.

Do you have nuisance algae problems? That could be pushing down your nutrients. My phosphates are 0.06-0.1, and my nitrates are near zero, but I dump a a TON of variety food in daily, so corals seem to be getting what they need.
I had a large cyano outbreak at about month 4. I tried to keep it under control by water change/ manual removal almost daily and finally gave in about 3-4 weeks ago and used red slime removal. Immediately after, had a bloom of turf and gha that I seem to have eliminated with cuc and a lawnmower blenny. So as of now other than some surface algae on the back glass it seems to be quite under control (for now)

Currently in the tank is a bengai cardinal, one clown (lost its partner to a fast moving illness), a diamond goby, lawnmower blenny, tuxedo urchin, marble sea star, a bubble tip anemone and numerous corals.

I feed the equivalent of about 1 frozen cube in avast marine jerky using the plank (2 feedings / 1 min per) daily.

In my qt I have a flame angel, blue hippo, and sail fin that will be going in once qt is complete. Will up the feeding schedule at that point.

I’m going to pick up a silicate test to test the rodi water just to see and have the triton icp done just for a good baseline.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can add is that I grow pineapples in higher Nitrates (30+) and higher Phos (0.9+) pretttyy well also. Not a problem to me, except as noted if they interfere with equipment. Basically I just clean them from my feeder tube (Avast also), but let them rock out in the skimmer.

Current tank has been up for 2 years, but moved twice in that time with new sand each move. Common new-ish tank phase, enjoy the added filtration otherwise :cool:

I have not tested silicate in this tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back