Plan B

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I were planning on using a HOB filter and skimmer on our 46 gallon bow front that will eventually become a reef tank. Today we attempted to put the glass lid on the tank and decided to see what it would look like with the filtration system on too. Wellllllllllllll. I feel that the filters took up way too much space and left me me no room to eve put the hinge mechanism on the glass top.

1000006509.jpg
1000006508.jpg

Needless to say, we are seriously considering setting up the 20 gallon long tank as a sump. I want to keep it as simple yet efficient as possible. I am watching videos and considering a few things.

1. Should I use baffles? Are they necessary if setting up a refugium? What are benefits o a refugium?

2. I believe I am wanting to go with the filter sock although I know they will need changed/cleaned often. Any other cost efficient methods to consider?

3. Can I use our HOB skimmer on the sump until if and when I purchase a in sump skimmer?

4. Should I add any media to the sump?

5. I am going to probably do soft plumbing because my plumbing skills are nil to none. Any idea of what I need to purchase?

I have so many questions. I wish I had a reef mentor that lived nearby. Lol

Thank you for any and all help.

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm. the tank that i used to have was a similar setup. but it had that plastic part at the back so you could cut out areas for all the filtration stuff and have it slid the whole way to the back. not sure if you could do something similar or not..

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to have baffles in a sump, They are sometimes convenient for regulating water height but not necessary. You can purchase a sock holder that hangs on the edge of the tank but Eshopps makes a nice one called the cliffhanger. But you can get cheap ones on amazon or other places. You can run the skimmer you have depending on the water level in your sump. But in truth, you can pick up a quality skimmer cheap on next door or whatever’s popular in your area. I think skimmers are important. If you want chambers, just go to your glass shop and give them some measurements. It will be super cheap and get some aquarium silicone. It doesn’t have to be pretty. Just for reference, my sump has two chambers. One that holds the rollermat and the rest is open. I did have to put some filter material to block some micro bubbles getting back to the display in the beginning , but that was short lived.
In terms off adding media to your sump, the question is, how much live rock will you have in the display. I do have rubble or other media in my sumps, but that is mostly in case of I need to start a insta-tank (QT or observation)
As far as sump size, you will want to go with the largest you can fit under your tank or next to it. You start adding skimmers, refugiums, reactors etc. you are going to run out of room real fast.
For your overflow, If your tank is not tempered, I would drill your tank. (don't worry it is super easy)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U
ive never once used a filter on a reef. Unless we are talking about a tank that has no live rock I dont see how a filter could be necessary.
Until a tank is established, you need a way to remove excess nutrients and detritus. I should say, this is what works for me and is my experience. You should do a build thread. I would be interested in your method. It would be interesting to see you tank(s) in a timeline. You could teach an old dog new tricks. I have only been doing saltwater going on 40 years now. ;)

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I were planning on using a HOB filter and skimmer on our 46 gallon bow front that will eventually become a reef tank. Today we attempted to put the glass lid on the tank and decided to see what it would look like with the filtration system on too. Wellllllllllllll. I feel that the filters took up way too much space and left me me no room to eve put the hinge mechanism on the glass top.

1000006509.jpg
1000006508.jpg

Needless to say, we are seriously considering setting up the 20 gallon long tank as a sump. I want to keep it as simple yet efficient as possible. I am watching videos and considering a few things.

1. Should I use baffles? Are they necessary if setting up a refugium? What are benefits o a refugium?

2. I believe I am wanting to go with the filter sock although I know they will need changed/cleaned often. Any other cost efficient methods to consider?

3. Can I use our HOB skimmer on the sump until if and when I purchase a in sump skimmer?

4. Should I add any media to the sump?

5. I am going to probably do soft plumbing because my plumbing skills are nil to none. Any idea of what I need to purchase?

I have so many questions. I wish I had a reef mentor that lived nearby. Lol

Thank you for any and all help.
I probably could cut it out. My husband is still against doing a sump so he is suggesting that we have the glass cut so that the part of the lid that connects it and bends will fit. He called today and a brand new piece of glass to fit will cost only $21.

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to have baffles in a sump, They are sometimes convenient for regulating water height but not necessary. You can purchase a sock holder that hangs on the edge of the tank but Eshopps makes a nice one called the cliffhanger. But you can get cheap ones on amazon or other places. You can run the skimmer you have depending on the water level in your sump. But in truth, you can pick up a quality skimmer cheap on next door or whatever’s popular in your area. I think skimmers are important. If you want chambers, just go to your glass shop and give them some measurements. It will be super cheap and get some aquarium silicone. It doesn’t have to be pretty. Just for reference, my sump has two chambers. One that holds the rollermat and the rest is open. I did have to put some filter material to block some micro bubbles getting back to the display in the beginning , but that was short lived.
In terms off adding media to your sump, the question is, how much live rock will you have in the display. I do have rubble or other media in my sumps, but that is mostly in case of I need to start a insta-tank (QT or observation)
As far as sump size, you will want to go with the largest you can fit under your tank or next to it. You start adding skimmers, refugiums, reactors etc. you are going to run out of room real fast.
For your overflow, If your tank is not tempered, I would drill your tank. (don't worry it is super easy)
Thank you for the ideas! We have a 20 gallon tank that came with it to use as a sump. The tank is also already drilled in the upper back right hand corner. We just have no plumbing experience. It just barely fits the stand and hubby is worried that it would not be able to be removed in the future if need be. I think a 10 gallon would just be too small.

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth I ran a way overstocked 30 gal with Im pretty sure the exact same skimmer. Imo the filter is unnecessary.
Thank you. I was wondering if it really was necessary. We are starting with dry rock though and I am not sure if that is enough without actually having live rock??

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was wondering if it really was necessary. We are starting with dry rock though and I am not sure if that is enough without actually having live rock??
To me the ideal start would be all live rock and at least 3/4 pound per gallon, so about 30 lbs of live rock for your setup. That being said the build Im currently working on would put me in the poor house to stock it with all live rock. So, my plan is to do it mostly dry rock and about 30% live rock. The point of live rock is sheer biodiversity, which will multiply and spread to the dry rock over time.

The reason that I like live rock for this is there is a whole lot more going on in a healthy reef than just nitrifying bacteria. Dry rock, seeded with bacteria (prefably from a live rock source in my opinion), will perform the same function as far as filtration goes, you'll just have to be patient and let it develop. And the whole microbiome will balance out eventually.

To that extent, I plan ok going with kp for my live rock but in your situation I think it would be better to consider one of the cheap treasure chest boxes that tbs offers.

Either way that big old filter is extraneous. It wouldnt hurt anything to run it but at the same time meh not really needed. I wouldnt toss it though you may find a diy use for it in the future

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the ideal start would be all live rock and at least 3/4 pound per gallon, so about 30 lbs of live rock for your setup. That being said the build Im currently working on would put me in the poor house to stock it with all live rock. So, my plan is to do it mostly dry rock and about 30% live rock. The point of live rock is sheer biodiversity, which will multiply and spread to the dry rock over time.

The reason that I like live rock for this is there is a whole lot more going on in a healthy reef than just nitrifying bacteria. Dry rock, seeded with bacteria (prefably from a live rock source in my opinion), will perform the same function as far as filtration goes, you'll just have to be patient and let it develop. And the whole microbiome will balance out eventually.

To that extent, I plan ok going with kp for my live rock but in your situation I think it would be better to consider one of the cheap treasure chest boxes that tbs offers.

Either way that big old filter is extraneous. It wouldnt hurt anything to run it but at the same time meh not really needed. I wouldnt toss it though you may find a diy use for it in the future
I've been checking out those treasure chests also. They are more in my price range right now. There are not many options local to me. The Petco carries live rock but their water is also puke green in most tanks so I'm not sure how well it has been taken care of. The actual tank that the live rock is in looked clear but I noticed there was a lot of algae on the rocks. There was also plenty of coralline. I will try to get pics next time I'm up that way. Other than that, I noticed someone selling coral on the next town over. Been thinking about asking him if he has and live rock available....

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back