Repairing 240 gallon glass

Larry_In_Missouri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was away from home, one of the front vertical seams separated approx. 3/16" and leaked massively. I returned home and have managed to drain the tank and move the livestock to two 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks with external filters, heater/ chillers and lights all temporarily installed. My question (actually a solicitation of advice): I have 2 tubes of Momentiv RTV-108 silicone and a guitar string to help clean the old sealant from the seam. I also plan to pull the joint together with a 2" ratchet strap or a pipe clamp on the seam being repaired individually (I would like experience and suggestions about this). Incidentally, after emptying the water, the seam separation visibly reduced to about half what it was with the tank full and leaking. I have read that curing of the silicone can take up to seven days. Is this the experience of those who have repaired/constructed tanks? And, of course any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure hate to hear about this unfortunate event. You probably know this but, one of the most important steps is cleaning every molecule of old silicone sealant off the glass. silicone just doesn't adhere to other cured silicone. Leave even the slightest film and you will have an encore performance. Complete removal will likely involve mechanical (razor blades, maybe even fine sandpaper) and chemical (acetone, proprietary silicone remover such as DSR-5 Re-Mov) steps. Experts will probably soon chime in, but an effective repair will probably require disassembly of at least the front pane, maybe the whole tank.

Back