tank perams

kellon16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I have been having stuff die off and had a major algae bloom in my tank.
Here is a list of my water perams
P04=2.0
ca=380
nitrate=0-5.0
alk is around 11
salinity is about 25 ppt
temp=78 degrees

It is 220 mixed reef tank. I have mostly sps though. I am running 3 400 watt 20 k MH. An octo 250 skimmer and Im running a dual calcium reactor. I am running Carbon and GFO witch I am not going to lie I am a bit slow on changing every once and a while. Any suggestion? I also went a few months with out my vortecs mp40w and was only running my tunzes when the bloom broke out, I dont know if that would have anything to do with it. Any feed back would be great! thanks a lot.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure this isn't cyano or red slime type algae?

low nitrates and high phosphates is a sign of cyano after a tank has ran for a few months.

I would add macro algaes (in a refugium) to consume the nutrients and kill the display lights so the algae will die off.

As the algae dies (especially if it is actually cyano) nutrients will be returned at the proper ratio to feed the macros.

my .02

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure on the salinity? 1.026 SG corresponds to 35ppt. So your specific gravity would be 1.019 for 25 ppt.

Also the po4 of 2.0 is extremely high since you normally shoot for .03. I agree with beaslbob on the high P and low N.

Last edited:

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tell us what is your real SG numbers? What salt are you using and what is your water change amount and how often? If you are using carbon and GFO in the same reactor it does not work because GFO usually last longer then carbon, and if too much flow the GFO can grind and the iron will feed/fuel green Algae growth. What is your Mg levels? Lack of flow in the tank is an Algae growth promoter, how old is the tank and feeding schedule?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back