the changing of the lights

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am getting to ready to change my lights over to kessils. my question is how is the best way to do this? i was told that corals need the lights changed slowly. what is the best way to do this? or can i just plug them in and turn them on?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the safest way is to put the new lights on with a lower intensity and then raise the intensity back up over a few days. Probably difficult to do this with precision without a PAR meter. . . but can probably make it work.

That may be an overly cautious method, but the consensus is less light/no light is better than too much, so if you want to be cautious that is how I would do it. That said I have definitely changed lights without any real adjustment period. . .

OP
OP
S

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so now im stumped on how to place the lights. i am using the mounting arms. the tank is 6 foot and it has bracing around the top. there are dividers that divide it into 3 sections. where do i mount the arms? i got 2 apx9's like kessil recommended. but the dividers seem to be right where i need to place the lights :thinking-face:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i am getting to ready to change my lights over to kessils. my question is how is the best way to do this? i was told that corals need the lights changed slowly. what is the best way to do this? or can i just plug them in and turn them on?
Start low and even acclimation mode and SLOWLY ramp up every 48 hrs to desired intensity

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so now im stumped on how to place the lights. i am using the mounting arms. the tank is 6 foot and it has bracing around the top. there are dividers that divide it into 3 sections. where do i mount the arms? i got 2 apx9's like kessil recommended. but the dividers seem to be right where i need to place the lights :thinking-face:
Play around with them and see if you can find a spot. You may find that hanging is the easiest solution.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious to know what light fixture was on the tank prior to introducing the kessil. If the previous fixtures produced intense amounts of light, good par, you should be ok with starting the kessils slightly above 50-60% but kessil settings will depend on your prior fixtures.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a par meter and documented your par, I would try to set the Kessil's at 80% of that documented par and watch the corals. I used to run Kessil's they are a more focused light source, so that's another thing you have to consider. Corals will except changes with less intensity better than they will except changes with higher intensity.

OP
OP
S

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh boy. i think i finally have these kessil ap9x up and going. mounted one hanging and one with an arm. trying to decide which way to go. i really dont want something that hangs. but i guess we will see. it seems like with my tank having dividers in it, i might have to. anyways, my question is this- there is so much shadowing! im kind of bummed. but maybe thats because its on acclimation? these things were so exspensive, i cant swallow having buy supplement lighting yet too! thoughts?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back