OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have installed the Klir-7 v1 filter roller this morning.
It appears to be functioning normally.
IMG_4648.jpeg

I’m going to remove some water today to lower the height of the water levels in the filtration area. I’ve had to run the water level very high to keep the noise level of the overflow down with just filter pads in there. I’m hoping that with the installation of the fleece roller it will be quieter with a lower water level. This will allow me to control the water height in the skimmer chamber, refugium chamber and return chamber with the adjustable baffles. Hopefully that all turns out ok. This is part of the fun of trying something new without the ability to make structural changes to the tank. There’s no do over if I’ve got the sock plate height wrong and the overflow remains noisy. Right now it’s silent but the real test will come when I lower the water level using the adjustable baffle in the skimmer chamber.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have installed the Klir-7 v1 filter roller this morning.
It appears to be functioning normally.
IMG_4648.jpeg

I’m going to remove some water today to lower the height of the water levels in the filtration area. I’ve had to run the water level very high to keep the noise level of the overflow down with just filter pads in there. I’m hoping that with the installation of the fleece roller it will be quieter with a lower water level. This will allow me to control the water height in the skimmer chamber, refugium chamber and return chamber with the adjustable baffles. Hopefully that all turns out ok. This is part of the fun of trying something new without the ability to make structural changes to the tank. There’s no do over if I’ve got the sock plate height wrong and the overflow remains noisy. Right now it’s silent but the real test will come when I lower the water level using the adjustable baffle in the skimmer chamber.
Is your sock plate removable? If so and you need the plate higher just let me know. I made 'spacers' when I was testing my media setup that sit on the plate rails. I have two that are 3/4" spacers and one 1/8" spacer. They would probably just drop right into your sump as your first chamber dimensions should be the same as mine.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your sock plate removable? If so and you need the plate higher just let me know. I made 'spacers' when I was testing my media setup that sit on the plate rails. I have two that are 3/4" spacers and one 1/8" spacer. They would probably just drop right into your sump as your first chamber dimensions should be the same as mine.
The sock plate is not removable, it’s fixed in place. What I am probably going to need is something to allow that chamber to fill to a greater height above the sock plate. In other words I’ll need to dam up the emergency overflow opening between the first and second chambers. Similar to how you were making 3d printed inserts to close off those cord passthroughs on your tank. Or at least we talked about doing that during the design process if I’m remembering correctly. I’m not home now but I’ll take a picture later and show you the area. Honestly I could probably just get a long enough piece of scrap acrylic and superglue it to the opening and that would work fine, it just wouldn’t look as good, not that it’s very visible. It’ll make more sense with a picture.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a couple of shots of the area in question.

Here you can see the sensor on the side of the Klir-7
IMG_4651.jpeg

and here is the emergency overflow. I can’t get a good enough angle but the problem is basically that the sensor may not get triggered befor water starts spilling out the emergency overflow. Still waiting for the fleece to clog up enough to raise the water level to the point where one or the other of those things happen.
IMG_4652.jpeg

If it spills before the sensor is triggered then I’m going to have to fill in the gap on the overflow enough to let the water reach the sensor. I can either glue in an acrylic patch or see about having a dam 3d printed. If the sock tray was another 1/2" to 1" lower this would not be an issue at all but it's too late for that.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a couple of shots of the area in question.

Here you can see the sensor on the side of the Klir-7
IMG_4651.jpeg

and here is the emergency overflow. I can’t get a good enough angle but the problem is basically that the sensor may not get triggered befor water starts spilling out the emergency overflow. Still waiting for the fleece to clog up enough to raise the water level to the point where one or the other of those things happen.
IMG_4652.jpeg

If it spills before the sensor is triggered then I’m going to have to fill in the gap on the overflow enough to let the water reach the sensor. I can either glue in an acrylic patch or see about having a dam 3d printed. If the sock tray was another 1/2" to 1" lower this would not be an issue at all but it's too late for that.
After you get to where you know how high the dam needs to be we can get some measurements and make a dam. It's probably better to have a 3d printed (in TPU) dam than gluing on in as it would be removeable, like you mentioned a similar idea to the plugs I made for my cutouts.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you get to where you know how high the dam needs to be we can get some measurements and make a dam. It's probably better to have a 3d printed (in TPU) dam than gluing on in as it would be removeable, like you mentioned a similar idea to the plugs I made for my cutouts.
I'm sure the 3d printed option will be better. I'm gonna grow old waiting for the fleece to clog though. It hasn't come close to getting triggered yet. I'm gonna have to move more fish over and start feeding more. The skimmer is online and starting to pull a small amount of gunk. I tested the other day and NO3 was 2.0 and PO4 was 0.06 so there's not much of a nutrient load yet. I'm really kind in a holding pattern until the fleece gets dirty enough to see if the water level will rise enough to trigger the sensor. I'm getting tired of waiting though, lol. I just want to know if it works.

Back