Water Quality Question

ryanc1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm having an issue with cloudy water and low nutrients. tank is 7 weeks old and has cycled. Problem is after I did my water change last week i'm at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. My water became cloudy yesterday after i added a xenia, torch and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I did turn my skimmer off for 3 hours but nothing else has changed. my phosphate has dropped from .09 earlier in the week to 0.00 and alk is at a 7.4, down from 7.6 earlier this week. Calcium is at 450. What could be causing my lack of nitrates?

Set up is a 100 gallon display with 30 gallon sump. i run filter floss in cups in the 1st chamber along with a bioblock, 150SS varios skimmer (lowest setting right now) in the 2nd chamber with some rubble. that's all i have for filtration. plenty of movement in the display. i have a orbit 4 gyre and nero 7 along with 2 random flow return lines.

any ideas? Do i need to do a water change?

edit: other livestock consist of

2 clowns
diamond goby
2 emerald crabs
10 hermits
5 nasarrius
fire shrimp

duncan coral
kryptonite
1 acan

corals look great btw. fish are doing great

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank being new is what is causing no nitrates. Don’t worry about it, it’s going to last for a while and one day they’re going to creep up on you and you’re going to want them down.

Also, at 7 weeks old, you don’t need a skimmer. Let the tank mature. Skimmers remove nitrates as well.

OP
OP
R

ryanc1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank being new is what is causing no nitrates. Don’t worry about it, it’s going to last for a while and one day they’re going to creep up on you and you’re going to want them down.

Also, at 7 weeks old, you don’t need a skimmer. Let the tank mature. Skimmers remove nitrates as well.
Thanks, i turned the skimmer off. I forgot to mention my ph runs around a 7.8. Water changes don't raise it. Any recommendations to elevate it to 8-8.2?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back