What is this root like, leafy stuff growing in my refugium? Hopefully something good :)

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9527.jpeg
What is this stuff growing on the walls of my refugium? Could it be another macro algae? I was gifted some ‘clean chaeto’, maybe this came along for the ride!

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa Racemosa is another possibility, I can't tell if the leaves are round or flat-topped.

Caulerpa is an aggressive grower, and very effective at removing nutrients as it grows. But if the tank nutrients are too low for too long, it can die off and release nutrients back into the water. So just be sure to keep it in check and don't let it take over the refugium.

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa Racemosa is another possibility, I can't tell if the leaves are round or flat-topped.

Caulerpa is an aggressive grower, and very effective at removing nutrients as it grows. But if the tank nutrients are too low for too long, it can die off and release nutrients back into the water. So just be sure to keep it in check and don't let it take over the refugium.
I had a huge problem with nitrates at 140 ppm.. I've been working for 6 months+ to reduce those to 20 ppm via water changes and most recently NOPOx. One problem with the NoPox is that it brought the phosphates down to zero, before Nitrates were reduced to an acceptable level.

Which nutrients does the Caulerpa remove, and what should I look out for?

As it starts to take over, do I literally just pull it out in chunks to keep it in check?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most macroalgae remove nitrates and phosphates. I heard somewhere it's a ratio of 15:1 or thereabouts, so you need some of both for them to grow. And yes, as it grows, just throw some out, unless you happen to get a tang that likes to eat it.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back