Who says I can't get a bunch of tang in my 42 gallon reef tank?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some math…Saying that 2” don’t fit in a 15 but somehow fits in a 300 isn’t logical.
Assuming linear measurement and area/volume are linear to the fish dimensions is not logical either.

Threw a dozen plus 2” hippo tangs into a single 15… became a group that didn’t mind customers approaching including those who thought tapping glass was fun. Actual experience from 30 years ago.
Didn’t mind or didn’t have anywhere else to go? How do you know “they didn’t mind”?

Outside of not keeping. We do the best we can
That is a cop out for doing what you want.

. Know this. Once my build gets within six months of completion. I’ll start seeking my school of powders. In a tang police not approved box they go. Because experience tells me it can :)
Then you are not doing the “best you can” and worse flaunting it in front of the majority of a community that wholly disagrees. Maybe because you can without retribution and maybe due to misplaced moral equivalence and the fallacy that your “experience” absolves you from fact.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah in fact even if the fish is in the same tank, new additions add stress. And that whole thing with Killer whales at Sea world that are essentially in a swimming pool, is real….but they also can murder their handlers in protest o_O

You do make a point about a fishes size in relation to the tank, I can only say tangs like to make long “runs” for no apparent reason other than they can, I would think someone needs to give em enough tank length so they can at least get up to speed
Realistically don’t see myself ever having something big enough therefore day I do I accept the fact they’d be better off in the reef but we know the industry won’t be having any of that therefore I accept my guilty pleasure and enjoy my prisoners and try my best to provide clean water and healthy treats. At least sharks won’t be a concern. Although my grandson tapping on that glass might. Perhaps acrylic makes a softer thump :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically don’t see myself ever having something big enough therefore day I do I accept the fact they’d be better off in the reef but we know the industry won’t be having any of that therefore I accept my guilty pleasure and enjoy my prisoners and try my best to provide clean water and healthy treats. At least sharks won’t be a concern. Although my grandson tapping on that glass might. Perhaps acrylic makes a softer thump :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I kinda think the same way, perhaps the fish is better off cramped in my tank vs being sushi in some island restaurant….
That said, whoever said morals, money and regulations are in line? Money and politics means wiping apex predators from an entire continent, over fishing and polluting because regulations will cost jobs, et et …When it comes to the all mighty dollar, all bets are off

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda think the same way, perhaps the fish is better off cramped in my tank vs being sushi in some island restaurant….
That said, whoever said morals, money and regulations are in line? Money and politics means wiping apex predators from an entire continent, over fishing and polluting because regulations will cost jobs, et et …When it comes to the all mighty dollar, all bets are off
The irony being my house displaced native habitat and life that once roamed free across the everglades and my mere existence means that said everglades in continued decline because we encroached and we too must live. Reefs that once thrive with colors unimaginable turning white like my first fake corals. Last I'm doing is worrying about some fish thinking it might be cramped. It's natural habitat might not be around much longer. I might just be best thing going for it. Day I don't. I just won't.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna deny that I got a little impulsive and fell in love with reef tanking quickly. But I have made a conviction that no tangs will be ina tank that I own if it's not at at least 100 gallon. I did buy quite a few appropriately sized fish though.

Attachments

• IMG_5830.jpeg
    IMG_5830.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5829.jpeg
    IMG_5829.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 7

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back