00W's AIO Smorgasbord

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been awake for a while now, but what a wake-up lol, long story short, I was woken up by the thermometer alarm that the temperature was 73 (yesterday while taking some photos at night I turned off the powerheads and I forgot to turn them on and since the return pump points up to surface movement the temperature dropped, I need a new and bigger heater I think) the second thing that happened, the green tip birdsnest fell from its place and a piece broke off, I glued the largest one where it was and I put the smallest one in another place until I see what I'm going to do with it, and the third was that 2 of my Mexican turbo snails were fallen face up
Yikes Luis! Crazy morning!

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes Luis! Crazy morning!
Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been awake for a while now, but what a wake-up lol, long story short, I was woken up by the thermometer alarm that the temperature was 73 (yesterday while taking some photos at night I turned off the powerheads and I forgot to turn them on and since the return pump points up to surface movement the temperature dropped, I need a new and bigger heater I think) the second thing that happened, the green tip birdsnest fell from its place and a piece broke off, I glued the largest one where it was and I put the smallest one in another place until I see what I'm going to do with it, and the third was that 2 of my Mexican turbo snails were fallen face up
You have had a very busy morning!

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have had a very busy morning!
Yes lol and I hope it never happens again, maybe today I'll go out in search of a heater to be calmer, I have a 100W one, would it be good to put a 150W?

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes lol and I hope it never happens again, maybe today I'll go out in search of a heater to be calmer, I have a 100W one, would it be good to put a 150W?
Have you got a controller for it?
150w probably be just fine.
100w is pretty mellow IMO Luis, but fine if no emergencies.

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a controller for it?
150w probably be just fine.
100w is pretty mellow IMO Luis, but fine if no emergencies.
No controller, just a small up and down switch on top and the heater is glass

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No controller, just a small up and down switch on top and the heater is glass
No worries. :smiling-face:
It's probably fine.
Inkbird controller, 150w heater, no more worries.
I love the inkbird.
Eheim heaters are great.
I've been using the new aqueon heaters too. They're not as long and actually work great.
Just a few thoughts.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much beautiful stuff going on I didn’t notice your sand and I doubt anyone else will. Mine stays white and crystal clean with my nassarius snails, conch and diamond watchman goby. I never have to vacuum it. Not sure what you have in there for sand cleaning.
Luis,

I wanted to clarify on the different types of goby you both are speaking of. As they function in the tank very differently. I have owned both and have seen first hand the difference.

Unfortunately, both vendors and hobbyists categorize these guys wrong all the time. So if you focus just on the Genre name vs. the Common name when purchasing you should be ok. But confirm also by their coloring. There are other Genres that fall under the category of true sifter vs not really sifter; but I am giving you the two most popular that are easy to get from you LFS.

The Genre - Cryptocentus cinctus. - who can pair with a pistol shrimp and share a burrow. He sifts sand around the burrow; but does NOT spend his days going through entire tank and cleaning sandbed. If there isn’t a shrimp for him to form a symbiotic relationship with, he will still stay relatively close to his burrow. Also, he does not swim up the water column and spray all your corals with sand. I had this type in my 26gal nano with a pistol shrimp- so cute to watch, but I did not consider them part of the CUC.

The Genre - Valenciennea puellaris these are true Sand Sifters - they spend their day going through entire sandbed and making it crystal clean; they do not pair up with shrimp. Mine is the “Diamond” variety who has actual blue diamonds on upper body - so quite sparkly. Since I have a 75 gal, they have a lot of real estate to clean and they really need that. The downside is that they will make multiple burrows and will re-fluff them a lot. Some get more settled, but here is the problem- they swim up the water column and spray any coral in the way with sand. So if you don’t keep up with observing and turkey basting the sand off those corals, they will eventually suffocate.

Luis, I made a conscious decision to have this type of goby in my 75gal - I wanted clean sand and was willing to put in the time to “assist” my goby in where the sand Should be! I wouldn’t have a non-nano tank without one. I just chose Not to put corals on sandbed. However, for my nano I will have a zoa garden, some favia, and a meaty coral all on sandbed so I will Not put this genre in there. In fact, I will not be putting any goby in there as it’s only a 20 gal and I can easily clean myself.

Here is a thread from our friend, @i cant think That explains in more detail- he cited more genres as well.

Thread 'True vs False… what’s the difference?'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/true-vs-false…-what’s-the-difference.925479/

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... It's official: I've joined the Tailspot Club. Order arrives Tuesday.

Screenshot_20240620-193541.png
Of course he had to beat me to it! And while on vacation!

Prolly took phone snorkeling and ordered it while underwater!

dangit Timmy!

Hehehehe

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luis,

I wanted to clarify on the different types of goby you both are speaking of. As they function in the tank very differently. I have owned both and have seen first hand the difference.

Unfortunately, both vendors and hobbyists categorize these guys wrong all the time. So if you focus just on the Genre name vs. the Common name when purchasing you should be ok. But confirm also by their coloring. There are other Genres that fall under the category of true sifter vs not really sifter; but I am giving you the two most popular that are easy to get from you LFS.

The Genre - Cryptocentus cinctus. - who can pair with a pistol shrimp and share a burrow. He sifts sand around the burrow; but does NOT spend his days going through entire tank and cleaning sandbed. If there isn’t a shrimp for him to form a symbiotic relationship with, he will still stay relatively close to his burrow. Also, he does not swim up the water column and spray all your corals with sand. I had this type in my 26gal nano with a pistol shrimp- so cute to watch, but I did not consider them part of the CUC.

The Genre - Valenciennea puellaris these are true Sand Sifters - they spend their day going through entire sandbed and making it crystal clean; they do not pair up with shrimp. Mine is the “Diamond” variety who has actual blue diamonds on upper body - so quite sparkly. Since I have a 75 gal, they have a lot of real estate to clean and they really need that. The downside is that they will make multiple burrows and will re-fluff them a lot. Some get more settled, but here is the problem- they swim up the water column and spray any coral in the way with sand. So if you don’t keep up with observing and turkey basting the sand off those corals, they will eventually suffocate.

Luis, I made a conscious decision to have this type of goby in my 75gal - I wanted clean sand and was willing to put in the time to “assist” my goby in where the sand Should be! I wouldn’t have a non-nano tank without one. I just chose Not to put corals on sandbed. However, for my nano I will have a zoa garden, some favia, and a meaty coral all on sandbed so I will Not put this genre in there. In fact, I will not be putting any goby in there as it’s only a 20 gal and I can easily clean myself.

Here is a thread from our friend, @i cant think That explains in more detail- he cited more genres as well.

Thank you Jen!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luis,

If you want a Valenciennea in a big enough tank that won’t throw sand over the rocks I love this guy - Valenciennea wardii.
IMG_1325.jpeg

He sticks close to the sand and rarely if ever goes above the first inch of rockwork (even when away from the rocks).

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luis,

Yes, I would have liked it to move more sand, but that incredible symbiosis between two different species was what caught my attention about the yellow watchman goby, The thread you sent me is super interesting, I saved it with others I have, thank you

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.7%
Back