00W's AIO Smorgasbord

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In honor of Team #SmorgasbordFamily and Taco Friday I like to present my lunch.
67C64A20-BD57-4CC6-B03E-B3E388D36CE2.jpeg

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luis,

I wanted to clarify on the different types of goby you both are speaking of. As they function in the tank very differently. I have owned both and have seen first hand the difference.

Unfortunately, both vendors and hobbyists categorize these guys wrong all the time. So if you focus just on the Genre name vs. the Common name when purchasing you should be ok. But confirm also by their coloring. There are other Genres that fall under the category of true sifter vs not really sifter; but I am giving you the two most popular that are easy to get from you LFS.

The Genre - Cryptocentus cinctus. - who can pair with a pistol shrimp and share a burrow. He sifts sand around the burrow; but does NOT spend his days going through entire tank and cleaning sandbed. If there isn’t a shrimp for him to form a symbiotic relationship with, he will still stay relatively close to his burrow. Also, he does not swim up the water column and spray all your corals with sand. I had this type in my 26gal nano with a pistol shrimp- so cute to watch, but I did not consider them part of the CUC.

The Genre - Valenciennea puellaris these are true Sand Sifters - they spend their day going through entire sandbed and making it crystal clean; they do not pair up with shrimp. Mine is the “Diamond” variety who has actual blue diamonds on upper body - so quite sparkly. Since I have a 75 gal, they have a lot of real estate to clean and they really need that. The downside is that they will make multiple burrows and will re-fluff them a lot. Some get more settled, but here is the problem- they swim up the water column and spray any coral in the way with sand. So if you don’t keep up with observing and turkey basting the sand off those corals, they will eventually suffocate.

Luis, I made a conscious decision to have this type of goby in my 75gal - I wanted clean sand and was willing to put in the time to “assist” my goby in where the sand Should be! I wouldn’t have a non-nano tank without one. I just chose Not to put corals on sandbed. However, for my nano I will have a zoa garden, some favia, and a meaty coral all on sandbed so I will Not put this genre in there. In fact, I will not be putting any goby in there as it’s only a 20 gal and I can easily clean myself.

Here is a thread from our friend, @i cant think That explains in more detail- he cited more genres as well.

Thread 'True vs False… what’s the difference?'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/true-vs-false…-what’s-the-difference.925479/
Very informative thank you Jen for taking the time to type it all out!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes lol and I hope it never happens again, maybe today I'll go out in search of a heater to be calmer, I have a 100W one, would it be good to put a 150W?

You just need a backup one. Most of the good vendors who sell them give an option to buy duel; and they give details on which wattage package to do based on your tank.

Some, can be connected to your main controller if you have one, or they have their own. I did the IM Smart Helio duo, but look at more Examples here:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. :smiling-face:
It's probably fine.
Inkbird controller, 150w heater, no more worries.
I love the inkbird.
Eheim heaters are great.
I've been using the new aqueon heaters too. They're not as long and actually work great.
Just a few thoughts.

This ^.

Joel made it simple and clear - I wrote a book…

Ink bird and heaters - the link I sent has option to package it all.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a Valenciennea in a big enough tank that won’t throw sand over the rocks I love this guy - Valenciennea wardii.
IMG_1325.jpeg

He sticks close to the sand and rarely if ever goes above the first inch of rockwork (even when away from the rocks).
Ahhhh - see. I knew the one that “can’t” think, actually thinks at an AI level over me!

I would have gotten this one prolly - but I was entranced with the blue sparkly Diamonds on mine. So I still would have gone with my Lawrence of Arabia!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would have liked it to move more sand, but that incredible symbiosis between two different species was what caught my attention about the yellow watchman goby, The thread you sent me is super interesting, I saved it with others I have, thank you

I should have read all the thread pages to see what you did first. But right now gotta pick and choose where my brain cell effort goes. And….

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 12

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got notification they will transport me to PT facility at noon today - Yay!

I need to go focus on that since I’m the only one here.

I’ll check in tonight to see what fun things ya’all have planned for the weekend!

I’ll be exercising and eating fantastic food - the hospital where I’ll be is a mile from Main St in Walnut Creek so restaurants galore!!!

Notice my typing went toward food vs exercise!

Stay Salty!

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes lol and I hope it never happens again, maybe today I'll go out in search of a heater to be calmer, I have a 100W one, would it be good to put a 150W?
I run a 100 W in mine with no problems. I replace In just over a year though.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got notification they will transport me to PT facility at noon today - Yay!

I’ll check in tonight to see what fun things ya’all have planned for the weekend!

I’ll be exercising and eating fantastic food - the hospital where I’ll be is a mile from Main St in Walnut Creek so restaurants galore!!!

Stay Salty!
Good news Jennifer, things are just moving along. I can’t believe your surgery was a whole 5 days ago! Hopefully when they let you go outside for walks you can find one of those fancy restaurants with an all you can eat Rice o Roni buffet.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stay Salty!
Good news Jennifer, things are just moving along. I can’t believe your surgery was a whole 5 days ago! Hopefully when they let you go outside for walks you can find one of those fancy restaurants with an all you can eat Rice o

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Luis,

I wanted to clarify on the different types of goby you both are speaking of. As they function in the tank very differently. I have owned both and have seen first hand the difference.

Unfortunately, both vendors and hobbyists categorize these guys wrong all the time. So if you focus just on the Genre name vs. the Common name when purchasing you should be ok. But confirm also by their coloring. There are other Genres that fall under the category of true sifter vs not really sifter; but I am giving you the two most popular that are easy to get from you LFS.

The Genre - Cryptocentus cinctus. - who can pair with a pistol shrimp and share a burrow. He sifts sand around the burrow; but does NOT spend his days going through entire tank and cleaning sandbed. If there isn’t a shrimp for him to form a symbiotic relationship with, he will still stay relatively close to his burrow. Also, he does not swim up the water column and spray all your corals with sand. I had this type in my 26gal nano with a pistol shrimp- so cute to watch, but I did not consider them part of the CUC.

The Genre - Valenciennea puellaris these are true Sand Sifters - they spend their day going through entire sandbed and making it crystal clean; they do not pair up with shrimp. Mine is the “Diamond” variety who has actual blue diamonds on upper body - so quite sparkly. Since I have a 75 gal, they have a lot of real estate to clean and they really need that. The downside is that they will make multiple burrows and will re-fluff them a lot. Some get more settled, but here is the problem- they swim up the water column and spray any coral in the way with sand. So if you don’t keep up with observing and turkey basting the sand off those corals, they will eventually suffocate.

Luis, I made a conscious decision to have this type of goby in my 75gal - I wanted clean sand and was willing to put in the time to “assist” my goby in where the sand Should be! I wouldn’t have a non-nano tank without one. I just chose Not to put corals on sandbed. However, for my nano I will have a zoa garden, some favia, and a meaty coral all on sandbed so I will Not put this genre in there. In fact, I will not be putting any goby in there as it’s only a 20 gal and I can easily clean myself.

Here is a thread from our friend, @i cant think That explains in more detail- he cited more genres as well.

Thread 'True vs False… what’s the difference?'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/true-vs-false…-what’s-the-difference.925479/
Twin Spot is a beautiful sand sifter that, in my case, rarely left the sand bed to spot sand. He would dig burrows in different locations each night and spot plenty of sand on my sand bed corals though for sure!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you want a Valenciennea in a big enough tank that won’t throw sand over the rocks I love this guy - Valenciennea wardii.
IMG_1325.jpeg

He sticks close to the sand and rarely if ever goes above the first inch of rockwork (even when away from the rocks).
Very pretty! I almost ordered an Amblygobius Phalaena yesterday.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back