00W's AIO Smorgasbord

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, too much shenanigans for me this morning with no coffee. Time to go check out the Peaberry I brought home from Hawaii.

If you don't know about Peaberry, that's probably for the best. Twice the caffeine and sugar in each bean as regular Kona coffee but it's less than 5% of all Kona Coffee is Peaberry and Kona is less than 10% of the world's coffee. True Kona Peaberry is $75+ a pound...

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone I’m am back from Italy. It was a great trip. We had some problems flying back though. We flew from Rome to JFK airport and then our flight from JFK to NC got canceled. We ended up just spending the night in New York City, which ended up being kind of fun then we flew back the next day. I’ve been home for 3 days now and I’ve done a water change and cleaned the tank up pretty good. When I got back, I was surprised to see the algae wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. We are making a lot of progress on this hair algae issue and most of it is almost gone. We did lose one coral which was the Duncan that had grown like crazy. It went from having five heads to 20 heads within a couple months and then when I get home, it’s completely dead. I’m not sure what happened. I was noticing the heads weren’t opening as much and I thought it was because there were so many heads they couldn’t open up well. But overall, the tank looks pretty good and that’s the only thing we lost. Now I want to start dipping or possibly feeding these torches the restore dip. I’m gonna read the directions on how to do it this afternoon. I forget the name of the person on here who knows all about the torches but if he is around it would be great to get soMe advice. I forgot what he said last month about it lol . If you know his name @ him here

Thanks.

IMG_3974.jpeg IMG_3975.jpeg
Glad your trip was fun and so sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I've noticed Duncan's need a lot of flow once they really start to split and grow heads. Once 1 head starts to go the rest follow pretty quick. Band saw is the only way to seperate the heads through the flesh cleanly.

For torches the restore feeding is pretty good for long term. Soak food in some and then spot feed.

If you have fish that won't allow you to spot feed then you can broadcast the whole tank. Or remove the torches and give them a bath for 24-72 hours.

Have a small plastic tub set up with egg crate, a heater, powerhead and or airstone. For this I think restore alone is fine, especially if the torches are not showing signs of stress.

Use tank water and no acclimating is necessary.
So sad now! My heater in my QT tank malfunctioned over night and my beautiful chocolate tang, tomani tang and my Exquisite didn't make it. The others aren't looking great...
Oh sh it, I'm so sorry to hear this as well.

Others gave great advice and the inkbird will help ;)

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, too much shenanigans for me this morning with no coffee. Time to go check out the Peaberry I brought home from Hawaii.

If you don't know about Peaberry, that's probably for the best. Twice the caffeine and sugar in each bean as regular Kona coffee but it's less than 5% of all Kona Coffee is Peaberry and Kona is less than 10% of the world's coffee. True Kona Peaberry is $75+ a pound...
Oh man that sounds really good!

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh my that sounds like just what I need. :star-struck:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Amanda! That hurts. Everyone is giving good advice on the inkbird. I keep two types of thermometer/controllers running. Primary is a Helio that works like an inkbird but just for heat, set to 78 +/- 1. Then I have an inkbird set to 78 +/- 2 to turn on fans + alarm if the temp raises too much (heater goes berserk, hopefully enough time get to it before heater overtakes fans), and the inkbird also has a Finnex heater attached that kicks on if the temp drops too low (Helio breaks and stops heating). Not perfect--ideally need a switch that cuts off the Helio if it goes berserk, but a bit of insurance.
I actually have the dual helio as well. And I have the Red Sea ATO with with heater probes.

I am doing the same on the nano - but haven’t purchased the RS-ATO yet.

I’m all about redundancy!

I started with inkbird and since you already had one, focused on that.

Too many options and didn’t want to confuse.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Didn’t realize I was going to start a thunderstorm.

While I get that it started as a joke, there was some truth in it. I simply owned my piece in it and suggested a better way for me to proceed as this group is very important to many people.

I will move forward with the idea I proposed for me and enough said.

Regarding coffee, I was really confused when I went to the Kona coffee place in Hawaii and the actual Kona bean. But since I’m not a coffee connoisseur, I’ll stick to my Illy Classico beans and call it a day. Unless I’m at Tim’s or Luis’ or Ocean’s house cause they be at wholeee different level!

Stay salty!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

While I get that it started as a joke, there was some truth in it. I simply owned my piece in it and suggested a better way for me to proceed as this group is very important to many people.

Regarding coffee, I was really confused when I went to the Kona coffee place in Hawaii and the actual Kona bean. But since I’m not a coffee connoisseur, I’ll stick to my Illy Classico beans and call it a day. Unless I’m at Tim’s or Luis’ or Ocean’s house cause they be at wholeee different level!

Stay salty!
Yes, but Thunderstorms bring out some really cool stuff in the ocean !

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your trip was fun and so sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I've noticed Duncan's need a lot of flow once they really start to split and grow heads. Once 1 head starts to go the rest follow pretty quick. Band saw is the only way to seperate the heads through the flesh cleanly.

For torches the restore feeding is pretty good for long term. Soak food in some and then spot feed.

If you have fish that won't allow you to spot feed then you can broadcast the whole tank. Or remove the torches and give them a bath for 24-72 hours.

Have a small plastic tub set up with egg crate, a heater, powerhead and or airstone. For this I think restore alone is fine, especially if the torches are not showing signs of stress.

Use tank water and no acclimating is necessary.

Oh sh it, I'm so sorry to hear this as well.

Others gave great advice and the inkbird will help ;)
Thanks Merkey- had no idea on increased flow once they start to split and grow multiple heads. Mine were definitely at that stage.

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stay salty!
No thunderstorm here in Miami! Just mini-tacos from 7-Eleven ;)
1000096625.jpg

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped at the lfs today and I saw this Ultra Galaxy rainbow bobble tip anemone and wow I just had to have. It is the most expensive animal I’ve bought in all my years of reefing. I know it looks great now but it’s only been in the tank a few hours. I’ll take a picture and post it when its settled, it will blow you away.
22BE4753-5DFE-4B86-BA5A-652062AF287B.jpeg

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped at the lfs today and I saw this Ultra Galaxy rainbow bobble tip anemone and wow I just had to have. It is the most expensive animal I’ve bought in all my years of reefing. I know it looks great now but it’s only been in the tank a few hours. I’ll take a picture and post it when its settled, it will blow you away.
22BE4753-5DFE-4B86-BA5A-652062AF287B.jpeg
I call first split!

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 71 27.0%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 64 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.3%
Back