16 Gallon reef tank

kramnotsgnal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping freshwater fish for 5 years and ready to branch out to something more of a challenge. I’m Building my first reef tank using a lifeguard aquatics 16 gallon long. Dimensions are 33.85 x 9.84 x 11.02. My filtration im gonna use the seachem tidal 55. What should I load the filter with? Was going to use dry rock and cycle the tank using dr Tim’s. I’m in no rush and just want to make a reef tank with least amount of issues as possible. Any suggested lighting? Was gonna get the AI prime 16hd. Mainly going lps in the beginning with sps in the future if everything works out.

IMG_5639.jpeg

Devaji

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a long narrow tank. guessing you already have it? if not I would suggest a classic 40br

if you are set on that tank here is what i would suggest.

filtration
Do you have a canister filter you can use? the oase thermo is what I would suggest for canisters there pre filters are nice to keep the media clean & the build in heater is great for keeping it out of the tank.
canisters are OK for SW as long as you keep em clean dont slip that. they are not the best but do work.

now if you have the HOB filter see if there is a intank media basket for it. they are nice to stack media and floss in.

scape
I would suggest getting live sand and live rock. it will help greatly with the start up of the tank.
for LR look in to tampa bay or KP aquatics
for that size of a tank you will not need a ton.

lighting:
its an odd size of a tank to light. narrow and long is the hardest to light. you would need 2X AI primes.
look into AI blades. a 2' might do it?? plus there pretty sleek looking lights and keeps the light spill down compared to other options.

other thoughts:
you will 100% need an ATO on that size of a tank.
dont forget flow in the tank. a power head/ wave maker is also needed IMHO

OP
OP
K

kramnotsgnal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a long narrow tank. guessing you already have it? if not I would suggest a classic 40br

if you are set on that tank here is what i would suggest.

filtration
Do you have a canister filter you can use? the oase thermo is what I would suggest for canisters there pre filters are nice to keep the media clean & the build in heater is great for keeping it out of the tank.
canisters are OK for SW as long as you keep em clean dont slip that. they are not the best but do work.

now if you have the HOB filter see if there is a intank media basket for it. they are nice to stack media and floss in.

scape
I would suggest getting live sand and live rock. it will help greatly with the start up of the tank.
for LR look in to tampa bay or KP aquatics
for that size of a tank you will not need a ton.

lighting:
its an odd size of a tank to light. narrow and long is the hardest to light. you would need 2X AI primes.
look into AI blades. a 2' might do it?? plus there pretty sleek looking lights and keeps the light spill down compared to other options.

other thoughts:
you will 100% need an ATO on that size of a tank.
dont forget flow in the tank. a power head/ wave maker is also needed IMHO
Thanks for the reply. A lot of useful information. And yes I already have the tank. Was a fully planted freshwater tank. I already have it set up where it’s gonna be, it sits on the counter top in my kitchen. But the ATO definitely is going to be installed first. Already thought of that lol I know with Evaporation little water quantity leaves no room for swings. I know stability is key. Was planning on growing this out and then upgrading in the future.

The seachem 55 I thought was a good choice having a 250gph turn over with a skimmer and intake tube that will reach the sand bed. Decent sized media basket. Don’t really have a spot for a canister. Is there a better HOB? But two ai primes will work for me if that will get the job done. I did look into the blades already just didn’t know if they would be as efficient then the ai prime.

Flow yes was planning on placing the canister at one end and power head/wave maker on the other end possibly lower to create a sort of vortex in the tank.

OP
OP
K

kramnotsgnal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. A lot of useful information. And yes I already have the tank. Was a fully planted freshwater tank. I already have it set up where it’s gonna be, it sits on the counter top in my kitchen. But the ATO definitely is going to be installed first. Already thought of that lol I know with Evaporation little water quantity leaves no room for swings. I know stability is key. Was planning on growing this out and then upgrading in the future.

The seachem 55 I thought was a good choice having a 250gph turn over with a skimmer and intake tube that will reach the sand bed. Decent sized media basket. Don’t really have a spot for a canister. Is there a better HOB? But two ai primes will work for me if that will get the job done. I did look into the blades already just didn’t know if they would be as efficient then the ai prime.

Flow yes was planning on placing the canister at one end and power head/wave maker on the other end possibly lower to create a sort of vortex in the tank.
Also should I do live rock? I didn’t want to risk the possibility of introducing critters lol

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@kramnotsgnal - Take a peek at this inspirational build, if you haven't seen it before:

OP
OP
K

kramnotsgnal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice setup I like that a lot. But not drilling my set up nor do I have the room for piping. This is an HOB build I’m trying to accomplish.
@kramnotsgnal - Take a peek at this inspirational build, if you haven't seen it before:

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank I have the 30 some odd gallon Tideline! Haven’t set it up yet either. I was gonna light mine with Orphek bars since they are able to stretch the length of it which means I don’t have hot spots or shaded areas. Plus are a very good light and you can start out with just a few and add more as your light demands increase (SPS)

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also should I do live rock? I didn’t want to risk the possibility of introducing critters lol
Live rock critters are what make it fun. If you feel like getting the best live rock that will have hitchhiker corals, sponges, tunicates, and a lot of cool stuff that's not sold. Get some tbs or gulf live rock.

Devaji

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I figured you had the tank.
the HOB filter will prob. work might even be to much flow for such a shallow tank salt creep sucks...so be mindful of that.

I would brows the nano section for a week or two really get some ideas what people are doing.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 53 33.5%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 75 47.5%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 31 19.6%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 19 12.0%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 39 24.7%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back