OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluoride isn't a cure-all, there may be other reasons for the zoa melting syndrome (pests, low nutrients, bacterial infections ect), but in tanks that contain under 1mg/l it should help.

You have some pics of how your zoas look now?
literally only got a few left and they are really really small. most of them just shrank until they were gone even though they were open

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the feeling, that the fact tanks were maintained solely by water changes in the past, is the reason zoa melting is so widespread nowadays. Many reefers have changed their maintenance to dosing and replenishing elements instead, but without offering the complete spectrum. I don't know what kind of biological effects fluorine has on corals but due to my and other reefers observations, zoanthids definitely need it.

It's a similar situation with strontium. We don't know if it has any biological relevance, but better keep it at natural levels to avoid another reason of failure.

I agree it may be more conservative to maintain natural levels, and is a fine plan, but I am not convinced strontium has any value for most of our organisms, and IMO, the evidence of fluoride need is not there (yet). :)

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
literally only got a few left and they are really really small. most of them just shrank until they were gone even though they were open
If only a few polyps are left they may be already too far gone to recover. But if despite all they bounce back it would be nice of you to write small conclusion here or even better there:
That way we can collect evidence for zoanthid remedies.

I agree it may be more conservative to maintain natural levels, and is a fine plan, but I am not convinced strontium has any value for most of our organisms, and IMO, the evidence of fluoride need is not there (yet). :)
Sure, but it will probably take a few more decades until we get scientific evidence of these fluorine requirements. Until then anecdotal evidence has to suffice. I mean we aquarists are usually faster than scientists in solving saltwater related issues anyway.
I am trying to get more evidence about Zoanthids but it's a longer process. Most people that have or haven't solved their issues rarely reply back so it's hard to collect the data.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only a few polyps are left they may be already too far gone to recover. But if despite all they bounce back it would be nice of you to write small conclusion here or even better there:
That way we can collect evidence for zoanthid remedies.
Yeah for sure!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, but it will probably take a few more decades until we get scientific evidence of these fluorine requirements. Until then anecdotal evidence has to suffice. I mean we aquarists are usually faster than scientists in solving saltwater related issues anyway.
I am trying to get more evidence about Zoanthids but it's a longer process. Most people that have or haven't solved their issues rarely reply back so it's hard to collect the data.

The problem, IMO, is that folks dosing fluoride for the first time and seeing an improvement (whoever they may be, I’ve not seen lots of these) are often the same folks dosing a lot of other things for the first time. To pick out fluoride and get even anecdotal evidence requires just that one change at a time.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem, IMO, is that folks dosing fluoride for the first time and seeing an improvement (whoever they may be, I’ve not seen lots of these) are often the same folks dosing a lot of other things for the first time. To pick out fluoride and get even anecdotal evidence requires just that one change at a time.
Hey that means the quality of these results is at least as good as in american food studies :). Not great, I know, but a start. And we don't work for the corporate fluoride kartel so compared to these studies, there is no conflict of interest.

I know about the difficulty with design of experiments. At least for me and another reefer, fluoride dosing was the only change we did. Not a lot but that's why I try to recommend aquarists that have otherwise great water parameters to check fluoride and report back. Many experienced reefers have already tried everything else.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already starting to see the frogspawn open up a little bit here's a pic from before and then todays.

Attachments

• frogspawn1.PNG
    frogspawn1.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • frogspawn2.PNG
    frogspawn2.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys the tank is already looking 100 times better. I had some old monti plate that had fallen behind rockwork and I pulled it out it was pretty much all white and in the past week it's already made a huge comeback got a good 50% of colour back and polyps are extended.
New heads on palys
I had a candy cane that had 4 of the heads with multiple mouths on them for months but never splitting and they have all started or have split.
Dkh back up to 7.5 salinity 1.026
I dosed the 6 days of fluorine as instructed on the icp so that should be close if not perfect same with iodine
I've had the 2 part going as well plus 5% daily water change.

Now I've done the instructed amount of fluorine I was thinking I'd stop that until I get an ICP at the end of the month as I'm sure if I kept doing those amounts it would be way too much at it was 38ml a day for 6 days which is a heck of a lot compared to everything else and see where its at after the next test. Maybe next time it won't be so bad and I can do like a couple drops a day or something.

My zoas haven't shown and new polyps however they have all opened and I'd like to think they are slightly bigger. Can't say that was because of the fluorine because I've done lots to the tanks chemistry than just that.

Actually seeing such a turn around fast is really rewarding tho and all I can say is thanks!

Will keep up with the water changes and just see what the next ICP is like in a couple weeks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice. Glad it is helping. It would have been nice to see what would have happened without the fluorine (i.e. just the water changes) - but the important thing is that things look better. (Im betting it was mostly the water changes myself:))

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Glad it is helping. It would have been nice to see what would have happened without the fluorine (i.e. just the water changes) - but the important thing is that things look better. (Im betting it was mostly the water changes myself:))
Yes I think that also plus the 2 part getting the alk back up from 5

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys the tank is already looking 100 times better. I had some old monti plate that had fallen behind rockwork and I pulled it out it was pretty much all white and in the past week it's already made a huge comeback got a good 50% of colour back and polyps are extended.
New heads on palys
I had a candy cane that had 4 of the heads with multiple mouths on them for months but never splitting and they have all started or have split.
Dkh back up to 7.5 salinity 1.026
I dosed the 6 days of fluorine as instructed on the icp so that should be close if not perfect same with iodine
I've had the 2 part going as well plus 5% daily water change.

Now I've done the instructed amount of fluorine I was thinking I'd stop that until I get an ICP at the end of the month as I'm sure if I kept doing those amounts it would be way too much at it was 38ml a day for 6 days which is a heck of a lot compared to everything else and see where its at after the next test. Maybe next time it won't be so bad and I can do like a couple drops a day or something.

My zoas haven't shown and new polyps however they have all opened and I'd like to think they are slightly bigger. Can't say that was because of the fluorine because I've done lots to the tanks chemistry than just that.

Actually seeing such a turn around fast is really rewarding tho and all I can say is thanks!

Will keep up with the water changes and just see what the next ICP is like in a couple weeks
Yeah montipora and candy canes are pretty hardy. As long as the issue is fixed (light, salinity) they should recover. I don't think your zoas would recover so fast without fluoride dosing but with all the other changes its not clear evidence.

But hey. You could just stop dosing fluoride and if the zoanthids close up again while the salinity is fine, you know the reason.
I actually use my zoanthids as fluoride indicator. I figured out that if they close up and I then dose fluoride, they open up a few days later again. I checked with a few ICP OES so I don't overdose, but there was definitely a correlation.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back