220 sump water capacity calculations advice wanted.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question 1- 220 setup update-- today I picked out my ATO container, I went with a 20-gallon tote, after I drill for the float switch it will be a bit less. The sump is a 90 gallon. so I did some math to determine if the sump would handle the water from a power outage and a stuck-on ato pump motor. can someone check my math? I think it's ok. the sump appears to able to hold an additional 26.5 gallons (water flow is blue arrows) I did not make this sump it came with the sale. The 17" mark is where they (the private seller) told me the sump fills to (sump is marked) if the power gets cut, which brings to question 2--- I'm not sure, I like the water flow into the Return Chamber and the middle baffle is acrylic silicone to glass and it's bowed, so should I remove this baffle and reconfigure or just leave it alone? it will be really hard to get my gorilla paws in there if I decide to shorten it, now here's the tie in ----if I shorten this baffle I will increase the amount of water the sump could hold due to a power outage and stuck on ATO pump so do I shorten this baffle? or do i shorten the return outlet length which would decrease the amount of water that would be sent to the sump?

Capture.PNG

153586437_881788729324880_4311002540953480328_o.jpg
Capture1.PNG

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mess with anything. Your buffer in case of a power outage is more than ample. I have just about an inch in my sump during a power outage, so...

I'm unclear as to why you don't like the current configuration other than you would like an additional buffer, that I think is unnecessary unless you plan on lowering your DT weir to allow more flow out of the DT to the sump. All my baffles are acrylic and bow. No issue almost 3 years going....

The only certain way to see if the levels are accurate is to simulate a power outage. This is going to tell you all you need. I am also uncertain how the stuck-on ATO pump factors into your concerns.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ok with the layout its flow pattern is one I have not ever seen that's all. and I want to leave it be I have no desire to go messing with it, as for the ATO, if the pump stays running due to a failure either in the motor or the ato switch gets stuck in the on position. then i suffer a power outage and the DT backflows. (unlike double whammy) I want to ensure that if 18 gallons +/- of ato water and DT water make it into the sump, i want to feel warm and fuzzy that I'm going to be ok. luck favors the prepared

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on your DT drawing to the right, you have 5" tall...what does that reference? i assume top of the tank to the siphon break? Just looks a bit out of scale. You have 18gal listed on your DT view to the sump but only 15 gal from DT in your sump view. Your sump dimensions would tell you 18 gal would be about 5 inches tall not the 4 you have alloted. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting your drawing is all.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ok with the layout its flow pattern is one I have not ever seen that's all. and i want to leave it be i have no desire to go messing with it, as for the ATO, if the pump stays running due to a failure either in the motor or the ato switch gets stuck in the on position i want to ensure that if 18 gallons +/- of ato water makes it into the sump, I'm going to be ok.
The simplest solution for the ATO scenario... put in a mechanical float valve where it dumps into the sump. You won't need to worry about the pump during a power outage. A lot would have to fail for excess water to enter the sump this way. Also, run this scenario as if all possible failures were to happen.

As far as the baffle arrangement. Over-under-over is preferred for ease of cleaning the sump. Also, bubbles must travel down twice before they make it to the return chamber.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a rough drawing using a tape measure. I consider that 15 gallons per sump approx dimensions and 18 gallons per approx DT dimensions tells me its ballpark accurate. yes, 5" is from the top of the tank not the bottom of the weir, from the bottom of the weir to the siphon breakpoint is approx 2.5". I will break out the survey transit tomorrow. hahahaha. J.K.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree that Over-under-over is preferred but this setup is an under- over-under. it's just odd to me, I mean if it works then so be it. I may go with a second mech switch to kill power as you stated. edit to the original post I'm not drilling for a float switch i will be adding a float value for my rodi to the ATO

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree that Over-under-over is preferred but this setup is an under- over-under. it's just odd to me, I mean if it works then so be it. I may go with a second mech switch to kill power as you stated.
Correction, under-over-under is preferred. Easier to clean and less bubbles.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree that Over-under-over is preferred but this setup is an under- over-under. it's just odd to me, I mean if it works then so be it. I may go with a second mech switch to kill power as you stated. edit to the original post I'm not drilling for a float switch i will be adding a float value for my rodi to the ATO
if you are plumbing to your ATO from your RODI i highly suggest a minimum of two layers of protection. Float valve is one, are you considering another?

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No because I make it a point to turn off the water source when done. I worry about the fits and the water pressure. But I just may add another what do you suggest?

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update as I was explaining this to my wife I got up close with the return outlet in the dt. And turn on the lights. I see that there is a small siphon break hole drilled about 1" above the return outlet fitting. This is good news. That mean my otginal cal of 18gallons of water will be less than that. Psa. Turn on your living room light when looking at black objects. Hahahaha

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No because I make it a point to turn off the water source when done. I worry about the fits and the water pressure. But I just may add another what do you suggest?
a solenoid supported by an optical sensor. if you don't have an apex you can get stand alone setups. If your militant about turning off the water supply when it's full you're likely ok but you know how those things go over time.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 88 49.4%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 46 25.8%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back