Two tanks: Here's my parameters, which one to choose for SPS?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi R2R experts

so I have been focusing on breeding mollies and sexy shrimps in my two tanks for the last year but now I want to add corals. Stony ones, preferably SPS:cool: - some "easier" acros like PC rainbow, miyagi tort and frogskin, green slimer (and please don't tell me to start w a zenia and a mushroom) :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

I have a pico tank w the sexies 4 gallon and a nano 15 gallon w fish. They have very dif numbers and I would like your help to determining which one would be better with coral.

Pico (1 year old):
Sal 33
Alk 9.1
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Phos 0 to than 0.5 (I don't have a Hannah for this one)
Light FLuval nano

Nano (1.5 years old):
Sal 32.5
Alk 9.7
Nitrate 25
Nitratie 0
Phos Less than 2, higher than 0.5
Popbloom RL90

As for lighting I have recently bought a Par meter and have done a par map - light will not be a problem with clever placement. Both tanks are totally stable with these parameters. I'm running Phosguard on the nano but nothing seems to help with the high phosphate. I'm feeding a lot and I guess my only option would be to remove some of the fish to bring it down or add tons of macroalgae. I do very small but frequent water changes which I have found to be better than 20 peecent ones.

I don't have a Hannah for other than Nitrate, nitrite, and alkalinity. I have ordered one for phosfate now and calcium is next. For now the phospahte numbers are a worthless Salifert test.

So my question. Which one to choose for corals? Best chemistry seems to be in the pico but very little room for error w the water volume which scares me a bit. Nano oldest and good water volume but nutrients high due to fish.
Larger tank and bump salinity to at least 34ppt

OP
OP
shrimplover

shrimplover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger tank and bump salinity to at least 34ppt
That should be easy. It’s just the dang phosphates in that particular tank. I have now ordered a bag full of super expensive macroalgae (could have bought Way to many coral drags for this money) to help being is down in a long term sustainable way

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
That should be easy. It’s just the dang phosphates in that particular tank. I have now ordered a bag full of super expensive macroalgae (could have bought Way to many coral drags for this money) to help being is down in a long term sustainable way
Phos often elevated due to overfeeding, lack of filtration or maintenance, use of tap water and foods including powdered foods such as reef roids

TOP 10 Trending Threads

SHOULD WE KEEP PREDATORY FISH IN HOME AQUARIUMS? SHARE YOUR FAVORITE PREDATORY FISH?

• Yes, but only if the owner is adequately prepared and knowledgeable about keeping predatory fish.

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • No, predatory fish require more care than what we can give in our homes.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • It depends on which predatory fish is in question.

Votes: 32 43.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back