24k Gold Torch Deflated for the first time in 2 years

UrBoiDeflatedTorch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reefing for 2 years now and have never tested water parameters. I’ve kept Anemones, all kinds of LPS, easier SPS (stylo & monti digi) and softies.

Recently my Torches and other LPS have been seeming very deflated since I added in a copperband butterfly. Was figuring that he was picking at my corals. I got rid of him and after a few days there were still looking pretty beat up. I bought my first ever test kits other than nitrate (oh no, here we go…)

Tested the following:
Calcium: 405
Alk: 8.3
Mag: 1245

Do these numbers look good? Let me know what ideas you have.

Tank Specs:

50 Gallon AIO (36x18x18)
1.5 Gallon HOB Refugium (breeder box)
Flow is on the higher side
2 AI Prime 16hd

Stocking:

Pair of Oscellaris Clowns
Baby Tomini Tang (<2in)
Fire Shrimp
Mild CUC

Corals/Nems:

x4 Rainbow BT speckled Anemone
Kryptonite Candy Cane
Basic Purple Gorgonian Sea Fan (photosynthetic)
Leptosaris
24k Torch
Dragon Soul Torch
Blue Torch
Octospawn
Purple Tip Frogspawn
Hammer
Australian Elegance
Zoas/Platys
Blastos

They also might just take some more time to heal after getting demolished…

IMG_8010.jpeg IMG_8008.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was eating them it may take some time to recover.

I would be concerned of a secondary bacterial infection resulting from the stress, and would be ready to address BJD if it pops up.

Otherwise, the parameters are not horrible, although the magnesium is low. I would not chase numbers but I might increase water changes to maintain good water quality. I am not sure what salt you are using but hopefully it will have higher Mg and a water change should move it higher, slowly, with extra water changes.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro longed deflation of tentacles on torches in my experience are a sign of stress and usually they check out in a couple of weeks if things are not fixed. By the looks of you sand bed it appears you have a bad case of dinos most likely from a huge imbalance of nutrients since you are not testing. Unless you have black sand? Can't see the tank real good in the photo. Get yourself an orang camera filter next time or try and take a photo under much more white light.

Really you should be testing more often if you plan to keep animals such as corals alive and healthy. You might have gotten away with it this long which is impressive but sooner or later it will catch up to you.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the torches have physical wounds, flesh band eroding, skeleton showing, you are at high risk of infections and brown jelly disease.

Pics of each torch with much much more white lighting channel bumped up would be needed to evaluate the condition of each torch

Last edited:

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 44 31.7%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back