OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about deleting my account here. I plan to do a lot of interesting things with this tank, but reef2reef moderation has gotten out of control.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DCEF060D-BDA9-4749-897B-16653E639C1D.jpeg

Anyone purchase a vortech lately. Bought 2 for this build. The housing appears to be super fragile. They have ditched the plastic and gone with some sort of resin that I would think would break if dropped. Considering how many times these power heads have fallen off previous tanks due to misalignment, I’m going to be super careful.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
302462C7-CD47-4908-8126-9A0AFE148594.jpeg

I think I’m done with the scape for a while. Trying to keep the rock work low for branching curls. One of the 250w bulbs appears to be a 10k even tho it was labeled 14k. Anyone had a similar experience? Also the middle light appears to fire later than the others, anyone had any experience with that?

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
boy, i forgot i made this thread! Heres an update picture. I'll be adding some kurls now.

Attachments

• IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I reckon it's time for an update to serge some life back on this thread.

Looks like I posted about 1 year ago! A lot of weird stuff in 1- year.

Tank was doing fine, but I was having trouble keeping hard coral. I'm not a collector, I just like corals that look good under full spectrum. I'm also not a very meticulous reef keeper (straight Berlin method and 2 part dosing), but I never had any trouble with SPS in the past. From my adventures over the past 6-months, its all about bacteria. That live Tonga kush I used to move around on the past 2 tanks was the secret ingredient to success, I have no doubt. Unfortunately, upon my last move I let the Tonga kush dry out. Anyway, I decided to take out about have of the man-made stuff I started the tank with (leaving in the dried out Tonga kush) and swap it out for the real deal. Well as all of you know, the real deal is hard to find and also expensive. I'm not interesting in the non-porous stuff coming from tampa bay, and I'm equally not interested in the purple concrete Walt Smith is slinging again. I have a few connections from back home, one of which got me a really good deal on some Aussie branch. I bought a good bit of it and had a real nostalgia moment upon opening up the box. I really should have taken a picture when I opening the box, but I forgot. Sorry! Here is a picture of the rock ammonia cycling. This is at the end of about a 7 day cycle with tank water. Rock is clean and ready to go in the tank and sump.

IMG_4041.jpg

What happened next was pretty interesting.

After adding the new rock, my Nitrates and Phosphates bottomed out as the Aussie rock began to soak it up like sponge. To be expected, dinos decided to join the party due to the low nutrients. I began to dose nitrate and phosphate to bring the nutrient balance back. I also raised the temp of my tank to about 82 degrees as I have had success with this in the past. Dinos remained. I continued to dose and began blowing the rocks off with a powerhead and vacuuming the sand bed whenever i had time. Dinos remained for 4 weeks like this. My nutrients got high stable and dinos still remained. Hmm. On a lark I decided to turn off my heater, the tank settled down to the normal 77-78 degrees. At this time I also noticed that my salinity was a little elevated due to how lazy I am when mixing salt. Did a 5 gallon water change with straight RO. Lights out for the day. Next morning all dinos vanished. At this point, the aussie rock has been in the tank for about 5 weeks.

At the 2 month mark (since adding the Aussie branch) I start to notice sps coral growth, coloration, and polyp extension. Now understand this, I know this hobby pretty well. I just did a lot of things in a short period of time. Any one of those things could have resulted in this success. BUT I still think that ocean live rock is magic, and I think that anyone who starts a new tank should bite the bullet and import some (if only a portion of your total rock).

Below is a photo from today. At this point I plan to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible and just let everything grow. I'll post an update here in about 3 months.

74026136914__BDD6141F-C798-4D2D-AD8B-5F733BC038CE.jpg

Below is a video of my Gigas clam. I was happy to be able to have another Gigas. I left a big one back west when we moved. Excited to let this guys get massive.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with my sticks as well. 8 months starting with all dead rocks. It's frustrating to say the least. Lost $$$ in dead SPS frags. If you still in Southern Cali and can spare a bit of sand/rubble, I would love to get some and see if I can add some life in my tank.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with my sticks as well. 8 months starting with all dead rocks. It's frustrating to say the least. Lost $$$ in dead SPS frags. If you still in Southern Cali and can spare a bit of sand/rubble, I would love to get some and see if I can add some life in my tank.
Hey man, no we moved out about 2 years ago. Go by Ali’s place at Amazing Aquariums and Reefs and see if he can help you out. Maybe get some of his skimmer gunk?

Back