3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bottom right is an Ender 3 S1 , which is the first tank I believe of this brand. Why I have kept 1 is because the height is 270 mm instead of 250 mm and at the beginning of your journey that will mean very little but by the early middle you’ll start thinking in terms of a bigger box in your head and need to add some height

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ender 3 s1 is the first printer i didn't hear too much bad about.
ender 3v1 also a solid option,

I have an ankermake m5c and only sometimes want to smash it with a hammer. it's fast, but has plenty of flaws that I could have spent less money on, and it's a closed system. meaning I'm beholden to their slicer software, which is a dumber version of prusa slicer. but most of the time it does what i need well enough. won't recommend it though.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAKE SURE IF YOU LIVE IN THE GREAT STATE OF AMERICA you switch to 115 on the back or you will have to maybe go back to micro center not that i ever figured that out the hard way
I know it's probably obvious to many, but this step almost stumped me. I watched all the set up videos and everything. Still forgot this lil switch and thought I got a bad printer when it kept turning off.

Currently using Creality Ender 3 v3 SE, $200 or under. Had everything to start, no upgrades needed.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It's tough to recommend a printer. I bought the ender 5 S1 to start, thinking I would avoid some of the problems. It did have all the upgrades I needed, but I still fought it often and had to replace parts that failed.

The Bambu just prints. There's no bed leveling issues, manual bed tramming is possible but it's set level from the factory and stays level unless something horrible happens. Retraction issues are rare. Built in calibrations make things easier.

It depends greatly on how much time you have, your level of understanding and learning, your ability to troubleshoot problems, and the amount of money you want to throw at it. Also are you patient.

None of them are as simple as an inkjet printer, hit print and go, there's always something to learn. Things I learned from the Ender 5 I've applied to the Bambu which probably skews my comment "just prints" because it is less troublesome for me.

Learning things like how to set your print up, orientation, supports, different filaments, variable print heights, how to design a print or alter prints. Learning why something failed to print properly. Walls, infill, so many things experienced printers learned, it's kind of like riding a skateboard to doing tricks on a board. Some of those basic skills that you want to smash the board for you'll master to learn the more advance tricks.

A lot of good entry level models have been mentioned and at the core of it they are about the same, you'll encounter the same print issues.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, definitely a learning curve. Plus learning various programs if you need to design, rather than just print found files.

All the settings mentioned above plus watching your prints fail and trying to figure out why. Loads of reading and researching.

Definitely a hobby on it's own. Need mind space for all you need to learn.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Finally got the main components to my AMS riser completed. 12-16 hours for the 4 parts of the body. Also installed a LED light strip and really like the extra light.
20240419_093319.jpg
20240419_093328.jpg
20240419_093340.jpg

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Oh yeah, definitely a learning curve. Plus learning various programs if you need to design, rather than just print found files.

All the settings mentioned above plus watching your prints fail and trying to figure out why. Loads of reading and researching.

Definitely a hobby on it's own. Need mind space for all you need to learn.
All the space for the rolls of filament... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: 20 colors of PLA, 12 colors for PTEG, 4 colors of ABS, TPU, CF, ASA...

Thinking about building a dehumidifying cabinet to keep it all in rather than shuffling totes.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking a printer also depends on what you want it for. Is it a hobby in itself, or more of a tool (there is overlap either way though)?

I was sold a very basic (ender 3 pro) because "its a good printer to learn on and upgradeable". But I don't care to make 3d printing and 3d printers a hobby. that is to say, I don't want to learn how to read gcode, build silent boards, change parameters or firmware when I add a new part... So my first one was a bad buy.

I want to use it as a tool. So I will learn what I need to in order to make it work. That means I probably need to spend a little more money out the gate.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the space for the rolls of filament... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: 20 colors of PLA, 12 colors for PTEG, 4 colors of ABS, TPU, CF, ASA...

Thinking about building a dehumidifying cabinet to keep it all in rather than shuffling totes.
then micro center has a black Friday sale and every skew is $10, but then your printing storage runs into your brewing storage, runs into your fish tank storage all in your office/guest room/project room. And you feel bad throwing away failed prints so you save them because someone in STL recycles it and you will get around to mailing it out when the box is full but until then it clutters, tips, and spills.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

That's like building a sports car from scratch. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

There is another corexy machine getting released I forget the name, it was like the print head hung from arms. I was interested in it also because of the claimed speeds.

Also that $3000 SLS printer in the works? Sounds awesome.:cool:

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's probably obvious to many, but this step almost stumped me. I watched all the set up videos and everything. Still forgot this lil switch and thought I got a bad printer when it kept turning off.

Currently using Creality Ender 3 v3 SE, $200 or under. Had everything to start, no upgrades needed.
Only thing I might piggy back there, Fugacity or other PEI sheet will make taking the print off a lot easier. The S1s build plate I threw away instantly, the SE seems to have better adhesion somehow, but the Flexible PEI will be something very little people have anything to say bad about. For reef items idk why I would ever need anything else. I at any time had 3-4 bloody fingernails from picking off brims, when I could not find flat xacto knife. Never used the spatulas they come with.

My tools

1) deburrer , significantly less important as your printer and ability increase. You will want a few
2) dremel with big sanding circle, small sanding circle, and a diamond tip point that looks like a carrot pulled out the ground
3) xacto knife. I promise you , be careful, because if you want I can show you a cut from an xacto knife I gave myself while I was in a hurry, before I learned to respect them for what they are, sharp as crap.

Super glue gel, random items to sand random angles, etc. don’t expect to pull it off your bed and put it in the tank. The way I look at it, you have to print it first to see if you like it‍♀️ at least for awhile

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
then micro center has a black Friday sale and every skew is $10, but then your printing storage runs into your brewing storage, runs into your fish tank storage all in your office/guest room/project room. And you feel bad throwing away failed prints so you save them because someone in STL recycles it and you will get around to mailing it out when the box is full but until then it clutters, tips, and spills.
that sounds like a you problem ;D

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve started putting them in boxes and literally mailing them to random people. It’s like my little 3d printed box of devils on your shoulder. “What is this all about then huh” well, it only gets better the more you learn, and that’s as much as I can honestly say because from there, you get to choose what you’re interested in

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Where can I buy this? Or read more about it? Been wanting to get a printer for a while.. pros and cons please
drat! I got them from amazon but now I am seeing they are out of stock everywhere:

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I was keeping all those empty spools in my laundry room, had plans, you know. Well my daughter found them, imagine a wall of empty spools crashing down. That was her favorite thing to do, stack them then knock them over.

I had to throw them out, they were everywhere in the house... She was creative with them though.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Only thing I might piggy back there, Fugacity or other PEI sheet will make taking the print off a lot easier. The S1s build plate I threw away instantly, the SE seems to have better adhesion somehow, but the Flexible PEI will be something very little people have anything to say bad about. For reef items idk why I would ever need anything else. I at any time had 3-4 bloody fingernails from picking off brims, when I could not find flat xacto knife. Never used the spatulas they come with.

My tools

1) deburrer , significantly less important as your printer and ability increase. You will want a few
2) dremel with big sanding circle, small sanding circle, and a diamond tip point that looks like a carrot pulled out the ground
3) xacto knife. I promise you , be careful, because if you want I can show you a cut from an xacto knife I gave myself while I was in a hurry, before I learned to respect them for what they are, sharp as crap.

Super glue gel, random items to sand random angles, etc. don’t expect to pull it off your bed and put it in the tank. The way I look at it, you have to print it first to see if you like it‍♀️ at least for awhile
The PC plate that came with the ender 5... Had to use glue to PREVENT it from sticking. As in the print would NOT come off...

Isopropyl alcohol works well at getting the little tid bits to release from the bed. Squirt it on and scrape away. (Also a disinfectant for when you land a shard beneath your fingernails.)
season 6 the splinter GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back