7 month overhaul results - no tank is beyond saving!

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share the progress I’ve made since starting a total overhaul/rehabilitation project on my 120g mixed reef. Prior to this year, a series of unfortunate events in life and with the tank led me to completely neglect my tank for almost 3 years. I lost just about everything and my tank looked like death. I have turned things around and did NOT rip clean or start over. Water changes, careful management of water chemistry, and some all-star CUC members have made this possible.

December 2023:
IMG_3293.jpeg

Today:
IMG_4832.jpeg

I am sharing this for 2 reasons - 1. because I am proud of how far the tank has come, and 2. to share hope for those who may be discouraged or ready to give up. There is always hope and extreme measures aren’t always necessary. Patience is key!

What I did:
1. 4x 25% water changes
2. Cleaned powerheads and added gyres
3. Siphoned LOTS of cyano and detritus
4. Ran carbon (ROX 8.0)
5. Reduced PO4 from 3.0 to 0.1 ppm and raised NO3 from 0 to 10 ppm over the course of about 5 months by dosing nitrate (neonitro) and running GFO.
6. Stabilized Alk, Ca, Mg.
7. Added a roller-mat
8. Added a 20g refugium and stocked with chaeto and pods
9. Added a filefish (aiptasia), a pincushion urchin, trochus snails, and foxface (GHA, turf algae), a diamond goby, nassarius, and conch (sand bed detritus build up). Also restocked all fish and coral, but the ones I listed were the heavy hitting CUC members.
10. Waited!

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share the progress I’ve made since starting a total overhaul/rehabilitation project on my 120g mixed reef. Prior to this year, a series of unfortunate events in life and with the tank led me to completely neglect my tank for almost 3 years. I lost just about everything and my tank looked like death. I have turned things around and did NOT rip clean or start over. Water changes, careful management of water chemistry, and some all-star CUC members have made this possible.

December 2023:
IMG_3293.jpeg

Today:
IMG_4832.jpeg

I am sharing this for 2 reasons - 1. because I am proud of how far the tank has come, and 2. to share hope for those who may be discouraged or ready to give up. There is always hope and extreme measures aren’t always necessary. Patience is key!

What I did:
1. 4x 25% water changes
4. Ran carbon (ROX 8.0)
5. Reduced PO4 from 3.0 to 0.1 ppm and raised NO3 from 0 to 10 ppm over the course of about 5 months by dosing nitrate (neonitro) and running GFO.
7. Added a roller-mat
9. Added a filefish (aiptasia), a pincushion urchin, trochus snails, and foxface (GHA, turf algae), a diamond goby, nassarius, and conch (sand bed detritus build up). Also restocked all fish and coral, but the ones I listed were the heavy hitting CUC members.
9. Waited!
Kudos to you for patiently reclaiming your tank and thank you for encouraging others that it can be done.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

December 2023:
IMG_3293.jpeg

Today:
IMG_4832.jpeg

What I did:
1. 4x 25% water changes
4. Ran carbon (ROX 8.0)
7. Added a roller-mat
9. Waited!
Well done

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I was very close to giving up on it and selling the system. Then I was laid off from work with a golden parachute severance package so I suddenly had a ton of time and some spare change… I took the opportunity to automate as much as possible with the addition of apex so hopefully when I go back to work and our second child is born this fall, I won’t let it get out of hand again!

IndyReef78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very encouraging! Thanks for sharing your secrets to success - fighting a battle with our tank right now as well, but determined to get it figured out!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back