Hobby costs are soaring?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of it may be that livestock exporters are now connected to the internet and see what wholesalers and retailers are charging. So they increase their prices to get a bigger piece of the pie. But local businesses aren’t going to accept less money, so they pass that increase onto the customer. All a part of a seasonal hobby with perishable goods.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Tell us what it used to cost for equipment and coral Pre-2K. Do you think the current coral prices are fair?
I remember in the early 80s, putting a 55 with an iron stand and under gravel filter on layaway. I wanna say around $200. and it had everything included.
I see no end and I go back to 80's when this hobby was Very affordable. I remember damsels at $1.49 each

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at chicken wings..what was it 2 years ago where some places had "market price" on them lol there was no shortages. Went from 10 cent wing night to o a dollar a wing . Luckily a friend works for a small restaurant wholesaler a 40lb box of party wings cost $38. Each 10lb bag is roughly 50 wings . So id imagine 3 years sgo is was $10-15 less . If people buy it why would you lower it . Look at the live sales now, milka stylos..war corals ....$30 . Blah

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at chicken wings..what was it 2 years ago where some places had "market price" on them lol there was no shortages. Went from 10 cent wing night to o a dollar a wing . Luckily a friend works for a small restaurant wholesaler a 40lb box of party wings cost $38. Each 10lb bag is roughly 50 wings . So id imagine 3 years sgo is was $10-15 less . If people buy it why would you lower it . Look at the live sales now, milka stylos..war corals ....$30 . Blah
I used to (and not too long ago!) get regular slice of pizza for a dollar a slice. Now, places by me want 4.50. Whyyyyyyyy

Regular size pepperoni pizza…$24
Whyyyyyyyy

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, things probably won't ever get cheaper, but, things did used to be very affordable. When I started euphyllia you could get chunks for 15-20. Acros around 15. Zoas were around 20 for a nice rock. Heck, you could get most brains for under a hundred. The drawback is that most of them were not the really nicely colored strains we have today. (And the lighting didn't help matters much. LEDs really let the colors pop on corals these days)

It's hard to really compare equipment prices since comparing a maxi-jet to a gyre or a coralife t5 to a radion is pretty futile. Technology has come a long way and tbf you get alot more when you buy a pump, light, or powered these days. Many are controllable (most even remotely), more energy efficient, and more customizable. Things back when I started were one setting and AC powered. They were bulletproof and will outlast most modern equipment, but they also didn't replicate natural conditions as well as modern equipment (except Halides. Still don't think LEDs will ever replicate the sun as well as halides, but they were horrifically inefficient and heated the tanks immensely. The bulbs were always one of the bigger costs at around 100/bulb annually on top of the much higher energy consumption)

The hobby has definitely gotten much more expensive, but it's also become much more mainstream and that's driven demands. I remember 20 dollars for small yellow Tangs and 30 dollars for a softball sized rock of palys, but I think we're at a better and more sustainable place in the hobby right now so I'm ok with it.

Arkayology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is charging $50 for a cleaner shrimp today. They were $15 in 2009 when I started. Red Banded Trochus snails used to be 1.99 each. Now I see them for $5-6.

The coral prices are just insane, though I usually only buy from hobbyists locally because it is cheaper.

Last edited:

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost of maintenance! I’m currently holding out for a salt sale. I’ve been procrastinating the purchase of more salt to try to get the best price. I remember paying $40.00 for the big box of IO but I can’t find it for under $70.00

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no end and I go back to 80's when this hobby was Very affordable. I remember damsels at $1.49 each
I go back with salt to 1971 and fresh to the very early 50s. I used to be able to get trilobites for $3.79 and if you bought one, you got another one for half price. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost of maintenance! I’m currently holding out for a salt sale. I’ve been procrastinating the purchase of more salt to try to get the best price. I remember paying $40.00 for the big box of IO but I can’t find it for under $70.00
Yeah, that went MAP so it can’t be advertised lower than the manufacturer wants. I found the best deal by going to my lfs.

Littlewolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first yellow tang in 2017 was $42, it was about (4 inches). So just compare that today's price..
Yep. I got my very first yellow tang in 2009 and paid $30. He was about 4-5 inches as well. Super fat and bright yellow. The prices on some species now just blows my mind.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sadly, things probably won't ever get cheaper, but, things did used to be very affordable. When I started euphyllia you could get chunks for 15-20. Acros around 15. Zoas were around 20 for a nice rock. Heck, you could get most brains for under a hundred. The drawback is that most of them were not the really nicely colored strains we have today. (And the lighting didn't help matters much. LEDs really let the colors pop on corals these days)

It's hard to really compare equipment prices since comparing a maxi-jet to a gyre or a coralife t5 to a radion is pretty futile. Technology has come a long way and tbf you get alot more when you buy a pump, light, or powered these days. Many are controllable (most even remotely), more energy efficient, and more customizable. Things back when I started were one setting and AC powered. They were bulletproof and will outlast most modern equipment, but they also didn't replicate natural conditions as well as modern equipment (except Halides. Still don't think LEDs will ever replicate the sun as well as halides, but they were horrifically inefficient and heated the tanks immensely. The bulbs were always one of the bigger costs at around 100/bulb annually on top of the much higher energy consumption)

The hobby has definitely gotten much more expensive, but it's also become much more mainstream and that's driven demands. I remember 20 dollars for small yellow Tangs and 30 dollars for a softball sized rock of palys, but I think we're at a better and more sustainable place in the hobby right now so I'm ok with it.

Prices could go down. But now you have these fools and the like making up BS names on corals that have been around for 20 years just to charge a premium. Avoid the "influencers". These people do NOT care about the hobby. They are just in this to make money. And most of them have zero idea what they are really talking about.

Yep. I got my very first yellow tang in 2009 and paid $30. He was about 4-5 inches as well. Super fat and bright yellow. The prices on some species now just blows my mind.

Ya I think my first one was like $12 or $15. Now you pay $200 for pale white junk. I just got a Biota and within 2 days it had pop eye and was dead. In 25 years I have never had pop eye. Buy one Biota bred YT and it is a pure white with pop eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I fought in the Great War, we didn't even pay for fish. They just jumped into our aquariums! Now get off my lawn! :D
Always good to hear from a Veteran advocating for peace.
jessytang GIF by LPGA

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price of fish has come down over the last few months.

I remember years ago when gem tangs were $2000. Now they are $250

Flame angels used to be $60 10 years ago. They are now back to $60

Captive bred clowns are as cheap as they have ever been (for Normal varieties).

Overnight shipping 10 years ago was $50. It’s still $50 and lots of places offer free shipping now.

Purple tangs used to be $300. They are down to $99 and I even saw $89 the other day. Never seen them that cheap.

reefrider777

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go look at TSA Falling Prices sale going on now. The first drop and prices are ridiculous. $50 sale price for cloudberries? That is the going rate without a sale. $300 WD frags! Prices are inflated and the market is saturated with the same corals.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Always good to hear from a Veteran advocating for peace.
jessytang GIF by LPGA
Haha! Given that the "Great War" was in 1914, I'd better set the record straight that my post was satirical humor. :D I certainly don't want to be guilty of stealing valor.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some deals out the look at this auction from sunnysidecorals.com. They will have a bunch of coral at good prices. Sponsor on here as well. Lots of coral under $10.
Screenshot_20240907_094016_Samsung Internet.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Given that the "Great War" was in 1914, I'd better set the record straight that my post was satirical humor. :D I certainly don't want to be guilty of stealing valor.
YOu running for office? I just woke up and remembered that it is trade show day.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone, I get that expenses in this hobby are frustrating at times. However, at least we're talking about a hobby. No one NEEDS a fish tank, so these expenses are all completely luxury expenses.

I also need to remind everyone not to post derogatory comments about specific businesses or people. Such posts are a violation of our terms of service. We aim to NOT be like other social media sites where anything goes. We want people here to be treated with civility and respect. If you have actual feedback about a transaction, you can leave that feedback in the appropriate location.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 8.3%
Back