OP
OP
Linlox

Linlox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleeping tank, it doesnt get up until noon every day so we can enjoy it in the evenings.

Today the clown, tang and blenny have been in QT/observation for 3 weeks. May introduce them to the display this evening, all are eating VERY well and showing no current obervable signs of disease/parasites. Clown went through some treatments, but thats another story.

20240810_101416.jpg

Screenshot from 2024-08-10 11-58-41.png

Took a few tests yesterday to check the kits and get a list together for an order since most came with the tank and were expired or missing components. Alk and Phos hanna reagents are expired by a few months so going to ignore them. Nitrate was a salifert and looked good, was slightly higher a week ago.

Just a note that both of my refractometers were WAY off starting up the tank, one is a salt brine refractometer that is 15 years old and the other is a sea water. Both were off by 5ppt in different directions. Luckily when I started things up and before getting my hands on calibration solution because I knew better then to trust uncalibrated equipment (was an electrical, instrumentation and controls tech) I just matched my water to the water inverts were in from the fish store even though it was reading wonky (28ppt). Once calibrated it was perfect.

Not going to concern myself with calcium, alk, or mag much until I start introducing corals that use it. Corralline algae always annoyed me in the end, so definitely not going to dose to promote it, once dosing for corals starts it takes off anyway.

Dropped to 52f outside and 62f in the house last night since we leave all the windows open most of the spring, summer and fall. Typically dont get very warm here (one day at 90f this year so far). tank stayed at 77 with dual 200w heaters last night, but maybe I should have gone with dual 300w. Acrylic really helps insulate so maybe it wont be a problem.
Winters we heat 100% with wood and the house rarely drops below 72f and is usually 75f so not as much concern. Even when we lose power we dont lose that wood heat,

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleeping tank, it doesnt get up until noon every day so we can enjoy it in the evenings.

Today the clown, tang and blenny have been in QT/observation for 3 weeks. May introduce them to the display this evening, all are eating VERY well and showing no current obervable signs of disease/parasites. Clown went through some treatments, but thats another story.

20240810_101416.jpg

Screenshot from 2024-08-10 11-58-41.png

Took a few tests yesterday to check the kits and get a list together for an order since most came with the tank and were expired or missing components. Alk and Phos hanna reagents are expired by a few months so going to ignore them. Nitrate was a salifert and looked good, was slightly higher a week ago.

Just a note that both of my refractometers were WAY off starting up the tank, one is a salt brine refractometer that is 15 years old and the other is a sea water. Both were off by 5ppt in different directions. Luckily when I started things up and before getting my hands on calibration solution because I knew better then to trust uncalibrated equipment (was an electrical, instrumentation and controls tech) I just matched my water to the water inverts were in from the fish store even though it was reading wonky (28ppt). Once calibrated it was perfect.

Not going to concern myself with calcium, alk, or mag much until I start introducing corals that use it. Corralline algae always annoyed me in the end, so definitely not going to dose to promote it, once dosing for corals starts it takes off anyway.

Dropped to 52f outside and 62f in the house last night since we leave all the windows open most of the spring, summer and fall. Typically dont get very warm here (one day at 90f this year so far). tank stayed at 77 with dual 200w heaters last night, but maybe I should have gone with dual 300w. Acrylic really helps insulate so maybe it wont be a problem.
Winters we heat 100% with wood and the house rarely drops below 72f and is usually 75f so not as much concern. Even when we lose power we dont lose that wood heat,
Looks great! Pictures when you introduce the fish, always fun. You Cheese Heads don’t spend much on heating or cooling.

OP
OP
Linlox

Linlox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Pictures when you introduce the fish, always fun. You Cheese Heads don’t spend much on heating or cooling.
cheesehead.... lol. Was born in MI! Believe you have to be born in WI, worship Brett Favre at some point, and only shop at the Packers fan shop. I dont qualify for any of that.

Will get some pics posted as just got done introducing all of these fish.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduced the larger clownfish into the display that had the itty bitty guy and it was like they were long lost high school lovers. Excuse all my pics, by phone is horrible and the fish havent been trained to "stay" yet.
20240810_182039.jpg

20240810_182038.jpg
Love those clowns! When are the tang & blenny going in?
Edit: just saw you added the blenny now I look stupid

OP
OP
Linlox

Linlox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tang.... why are these guys ALWAYS drama? Went in the tank and found a cave deep in my rock pile that I didnt even know existed for 10 minutes. Came out and started nibbling on all the rock but if I came anywhere close to the tank it hid. Only pic that could be snapped, being super shy if you watch, but acting normal if you ignore it. Wife just came in and said its out swimming all over picking at rocks unless you look.

Neither the tang or blenny are constipated, they unloaded at least 2 sheets of nori and completely polluted the tank.
20240810_180130.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old All Glass 90 Aquarium and the Stand. I’ve been thinking about Repairing and Refurbishing the stand, cutting the Damaged Overflow out, drilling the tank for another Drain and return. The width is only 18”, what is the width of your tank?

OP
OP
Linlox

Linlox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old All Glass 90 Aquarium and the Stand. I’ve been thinking about Repairing and Refurbishing the stand, cutting the Damaged Overflow out, drilling the tank for another Drain and return. The width is only 18”, what is the width of your tank?
width is 18", 48" long and 24" high. The 18" works ok but its tight to scape a peninsula. If I could have found the 24" wide, 120 gallon fat boy acrylic on the used market that would have been ideal for the location its in.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheesehead.... lol. Was born in MI! Believe you have to be born in WI, worship Brett Favre at some point, and only shop at the Packers fan shop. I dont qualify for any of that.

Will get some pics posted as just got done introducing all of these fish.
I was born in Grand Rapids, my parents are from Cadillac!

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a michigander in ohio... only 2 states that ever declared war on each other. Most of my family is up around Mt. Pleasant.
Ya, moved before I could really remember. Raised in northeastern Ohio since 6th grade. Graduated from The Ohio State University. My family i. Michigan has given me nothing but grief since!

OP
OP
Linlox

Linlox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, moved before I could really remember. Raised in northeastern Ohio since 6th grade. Graduated from The Ohio State University. My family i. Michigan has given me nothing but grief since!
same for me here in WI, moved over in 4th or 5th grade. those michigan relatives never let it go when someone leaves that state.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a michigander in ohio... only 2 states that ever declared war on each other. Most of my family is up around Mt. Pleasant.
Ohio won the war, we have Toledo!

OP
OP
Linlox

Linlox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quarantine area is reset, tanks cleaned, bleached, etc, its time for a fish order since there are 3 tanks sitting empty.

For this order:
  • 1x Six Line Wrasse (Pseudochelinus Hexataenia) in 10 gallon QT
  • 7x Green Reef Chromis (Chromis Viridis) in another 10 gallon QT
  • 1x Foxface (Siganus Vulpinus) in the 20 long QT observation
  • 3x Emerald Crab (Mithraculus Sculptus) 1 for refugium, 2 for display
  • 12x Cerith Snail (Cerithium Sp) 3-4 in refugium rest in display

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quarantine area is reset, tanks cleaned, bleached, etc, its time for a fish order since there are 3 tanks sitting empty.

For this order:
  • 1x Six Line Wrasse (Pseudochelinus Hexataenia) in 10 gallon QT
  • 7x Green Reef Chromis (Chromis Viridis) in another 10 gallon QT
  • 1x Foxface (Siganus Vulpinus) in the 20 long QT observation
  • 3x Emerald Crab (Mithraculus Sculptus) 1 for refugium, 2 for display
  • 12x Cerith Snail (Cerithium Sp) 3-4 in refugium rest in display
I have a feeling all of those emerald crabs will end up in the refugium. I just had to get rid of both of mine and I really liked them, but even with all the algae and supplemental pellet feeding, they still ate my coral.

OP
OP
Linlox

Linlox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling all of those emerald crabs will end up in the refugium. I just had to get rid of both of mine and I really liked them, but even with all the algae and supplemental pellet feeding, they still ate my coral.
thinking back i remember trying to catch one for being naughty like that! Will change that to one for the refugium. Debating the foxface, have never had one and wonder how it would do in a 90.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking back i remember trying to catch one for being naughty like that! Will change that to one for the refugium. Debating the foxface, have never had one and wonder how it would do in a 90.
4E17CFB1-5492-45BB-9B7F-54DBC7A5DCEE.png

Back