A fish to "sit on the rocks"

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has two fire shrimp that would be gone day one. They are mostly not reef safe and nibble at fins of tank mates, etc. Cool fish, but I am puzzled at the suggestion for somebody who you are also suggesting easing into things.

Neat fish, but I would suggest captive bred for any large breed algae blenny, many wild specimens end up starving in captive reefs, especially newer setups.

Very docile fish and they love to sit high on rocks and observe.

I had a model citizen hawkfish (arc eye) for over a decade, but I think that is the rarity, not the norm. They are opportunistic and if hungry, well anything goes. They also grow rather quickly. Cool personalities though.

My easing into things suggestion was sage. But the OP has already gone down the rabbit hole.

As to why I suggested the Saddleback, I've observed its behavior to be similar to what the OP was seeking, and made a suggestion.

OP
OP
mythesis

mythesis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My easing into things suggestion was sage. But the OP has already gone down the rabbit hole.

As to why I suggested the Saddleback, I've observed its behavior to be similar to what the OP was seeking, and made a suggestion.
In case it helps ---

Our current plan is 1-2 more weeks of QT for the little ones in there. Wait a week or two to make sure everything is ok, then try to get the "rock sitter" to QT for a while.

The "Future plans" are a long ways away, but wanted to include them in case those fish would cause incompatibility with current recs.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wholeheartedly suggest a Biota Captive bred Molly Miller Blenny in place of the stary or similar. (for the reasons I mentioned above).

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all these thoughts --- I don't see someone providing aquacultured Starry Blenny, do you have a resource in mind?
See above - the Molly Miller.

The Starry and other similar foraging species have a high mortality rate because they don't adapt quickly to pellets or other fish food and can't find enough nutrition in a captive reef, especially a newer one.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspot is a great fish and loves to perch:
1727889844734.jpeg

Doesn't bother other fish either. In fact, I suspect they worship him.
1727889883923.jpeg

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since my wife saw a Longnose Hawkfish just ... chilling ... on the rockwork at the LFS, she's wanted something that will do that.

However, we have Fire Shrimp that we greatly enjoy, and there are reports that that's a bad idea to combine.

So, is there another fish you'd suggest that will enjoy the aquascape she so lovingly created? I saw some posts about Tailspot Blennies, so maybe that would fit the bill?

90 Gal Tank (only 2 months in, so still easing into this)

Current Inhabitants:
- 2 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
- 2 Clowns
- Linespot Wrasse
- Solar Wrasse

In QT:
- Link's Goby
- Court Jester Goby
- Royal Gramma

Future Plan:
- Mandarin
- Flame Angel (?)
- Maybe Tang (call the police...)

PXL_20240930_164642816.MP.jpg
Blennies!!! Coolest little perching fish ever

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wholeheartedly suggest a Biota Captive bred Molly Miller Blenny in place of the stary or similar. (for the reasons I mentioned above).
I love this fish. I did order one and while it arrived healthy, it doesn't look like a Molly Miller. It is tiny so hoping it will look like the adult later. I put it in a nursery with other small fish. It hides, expected, been there a while. I see it once in a while. Hopefully it will come out of hiding looking like what I was expecting.

I love Mandarins. They live for many years. 2 from Biota in a different nursery. They come in tiny. Adorable. I feed baby brine shrimp daily along with frozen and ground pellets. Growing quickly. I use a Paul B's feeder. You can google it and make one easily enough. They prefer it over some of the ones that are "printed". I think it is the dark lid of the printed one. Prefer the white old fish net I use on my Paul B's feeder.

Good luck.
Shelley

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

I love my little citron clown goby. Just be careful if you have acros.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a model citizen hawkfish (arc eye) for over a decade, but I think that is the rarity, not the norm. They are opportunistic and if hungry, well anything goes. They also grow rather quickly. Cool personalities though.

I was also going to suggest a flame hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus). Will definitely swim from rock to rock, structure to structure.

Biota has the Starry Goby which was already mentioned. A hidden gem. They also have the Upside Down Goby which is rare and lives on the reef structure. The only issue with the Upside down Goby is that you may not see it often as it lives in the nooks and crannies of the reef.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what I was thinking - but I ordered 4 or 5 stoplight cardinals one time. Beautiful fish for 30 seconds. Never saw them again. EVER. Maybe a year later, the warden was up in the middle of the night and turned on the home theater light, and there were the stop light cardinals. That was 2 years ago. I have still never seen one. I have no idea if they are still alive or not.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since my wife saw a Longnose Hawkfish just ... chilling ... on the rockwork at the LFS, she's wanted something that will do that.

However, we have Fire Shrimp that we greatly enjoy, and there are reports that that's a bad idea to combine.

So, is there another fish you'd suggest that will enjoy the aquascape she so lovingly created? I saw some posts about Tailspot Blennies, so maybe that would fit the bill?

90 Gal Tank (only 2 months in, so still easing into this)

Current Inhabitants:
- 2 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
- 2 Clowns
- Linespot Wrasse
- Solar Wrasse

In QT:
- Link's Goby
- Court Jester Goby
- Royal Gramma

Future Plan:
- Mandarin
- Flame Angel (?)
- Maybe Tang (call the police...)

PXL_20240930_164642816.MP.jpg
How about a Flame Hawkfish? They can’t really swim gracefully and when it swims it reminds me of the angry bird cartoon that launches itself into the air. Also it’s one of the few fish that likes to perch/hop from ledge to ledge, scuttle a bit a long the sand. Peeks and trails fish owner with its eyes all the time.
Get one around 2-3 inch in size. Mine has never attacked any of the cleanup crew

image.jpg

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU HAVE A REEFING MENTOR? BRAG ON THEM IN THE COMMENTS!

• Yes.

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • I have before, but not currently.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Not yet, but I'd like to have one.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • No.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I am the mentor.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 6.0%