A lot of misc. snails! Safe or whelk?

beepboop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these from my LFS when I asked for small snails to clean my macroalgae… Any advice on whether they’re safe or whelks? They were basically free.

@ISpeakForTheSeas you seem to be super knowledgable on this topic - any advice?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7352.jpeg IMG_7351.jpeg IMG_7350.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these from my LFS when I asked for small snails to clean my macroalgae… Any advice on whether they’re safe or whelks? They were basically free.

@ISpeakForTheSeas you seem to be super knowledgable on this topic - any advice?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7352.jpeg IMG_7351.jpeg IMG_7350.jpeg
The Lettered/Dotted Dove Snail, Euplica scripta - they're good:
Euplica scripta is apparently primarily a sea grass-epiphytic algae-eater;* so it feeds primarily on algae that grows on sea grass; interestingly, this makes them (and a few other common Columbellids) quite different dietarily than the vast majority of their relatives.**

Cool!

*Source:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1470160X21002727 **Source:

OP
OP
B

beepboop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that’s excellent! Thank you both so much for the quick responses. I got nervous when I noticed some of the trunks look tattooed - can’t that be a whelk sign?

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that’s excellent! Thank you both so much for the quick responses. I got nervous when I noticed some of the trunks look tattooed - can’t that be a whelk sign?
Yeah, Dove snails are from the taxonomic family Columbellidae, which is from the whelk taxonomic superfamily, Buccinoidea - they and Nassarius snails are a couple of exceptions to the generally predatory nature of the superfamily.

Edit: So, they look like whelks because they arguably are whelks (Nassarius snails are sometimes called Dog Whelks or Mud Whelks) - at the least, they are definitely closely related to whelks.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back